News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dual Bravery Awards for Berlin

and the award card and citations.............

Documents pertaining to Kurban Ishmatov

1. Award card Order booklet 3808521.

Last name: Ishmatov

2. Name and Patrionymic: Kurban

3. Rank: Guards Private

4. Sex:

5. Birthyear: 1912

6. Birthplace:

7. Party Membership: n/a

8. Education:

9. Nationality: Uzbek

10. Service in the Red Army:

11. Place of service and duty position at time of awarding: Gunner, 9 Artillery Regiment, 2836(?)

12. Place of service and duty position at the current time: Uzbek SSR, Fergana Oblast

13. Home of Record: Kagonavichskii Region, Bachevitskii Selsovet

14. Awards

Award Serial Number Awarder

Bravery Medal 24.2.45, 3 Belorussian Front

2. Award Citation

Secret

Order 118/N of the 858 Belostok Red Banner Rifle Regiment, 233 Gomel Red Banner Order of Suvorov Rifle Division, 3 Belorussian Front

1 April 1945 Active Duty

On behalf of the Praesidium of the Supreme Soviet USSR, I award the Bravery Medal to:

1. Machinegunner, 1 Machinegun Company, Private Kurban Ishmatov who on 25.3.45 during the destruction of the enemy pocket near the Frisch Hof Bay, continuously and in a timely manner supplied his crew with ammunition under enemy fire and also killed three Germans with his personal weapon, thus enabling the successful mission accomplishment in purging the Bay area of Germans.

Born 1908, Uzbek, non-party member, inducted 1.3.43 by Kokand RMC, Kokand Oblast.

Home of Record: Kokand Oblast, Kokand Region, Ismanov Collective Farm

Signed Commander, 858 Rifle Regiment, Colonel Rudenko

3. Award Citation

Secret

Order 130/N of the 858 Belostok Red Banner Order of Alexander Nevsky Rifle Regiment, 233 Gomel Red Banner Order of Suvorov Rifle Division

15 June 1945 Active Duty

On behalf of the Praesidium of the Supreme Soviet USSR, I award the Bravery Medal to:

16. Machinegunner, 2 Machinegun Company, Private Kurban Ishmatov who from 24 to 30.4.45 while destroying the enemy pocket south east of Berlin and working under enemy fire, low-crawled to continuously and regularly supply the machinegun belts during the destruction of enemy firing positions, thus enabling the successful mission accomplishment in clearing the area of the enemy.

Born 1908, Uzbek, non-party member, inducted 1.3.43 by Kokand RMC, Kokand Oblast.

Home of Record: Kokand Oblast, Kokand Region, Ismanov Collective Farm

Signed Commander, 858 Rifle Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Belov

4. Award Cards

Three additional award card affirm the awarding of the above two medals. Another award card mentions an Order of Glory III Class, however it is unclear whether he received it ? reverse, undated, written notation states there is no record of awarding, however front stamp dated 19.8.96 indicates he was awarded one. From the award card translated at #1 above, from the lack of a serial number, it is also impossible to tell whether this duplicates information on his two known Bravery Medals, or whether he was awarded yet another, possibly unnumbered one.

Edited by ANZAC

The ribbons pictured are original to the medals. The awardee was not wounded in action so the blood stains on the ribbon are not from him. I believe it to be blood from another person during close combat action.

Brendan

The ribbons pictured are original to the medals. The awardee was not wounded in action so the blood stains on the ribbon are not from him. I believe it to be blood from another person during close combat action.

Brendan

Brendan,

Are you sure that it is not simply rust (I know, a bit less glamorous that the blood of your ennemy spilt all over your awards)?

Marc

Brendan,

Are you sure that it is not simply rust (I know, a bit less glamorous that the blood of your ennemy spilt all over your awards)?

Marc

I thought that first as well but on close inspection of the steel suspensions they are clear of any rust. Anyway it's likely he cut himself shaving!

Brendan

Maybe the the ribbons were stored next to something that rusted? It looks as if the bar was kept in a damp environment. I have seen lots of old blood stains before, and the stains really does not look like blood to me. I would think that he would have replaced the ribbons(at least) had they been so damaged in battle.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe the the ribbons were stored next to something that rusted? It looks as if the bar was kept in a damp environment. I have seen lots of old blood stains before, and the stains really does not look like blood to me. I would think that he would have replaced the ribbons(at least) had they been so damaged in battle.

I agree; this is clearly rust colour 5i work on restauration object and rust is too familiar to me :( ); these ribbons have been stored next to a rusty object for an unknown time...

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice little group!

What concerns the blood, it would be "post-war blood" for sure. :rolleyes:

Didn't he received the medals after the war?

I'm also 100% sure it is rust from another object.

Very nice little group!

What concerns the blood, it would be "post-war blood" for sure. :rolleyes:

Didn't he received the medals after the war?

I'm also 100% sure it is rust from another object.

Thanks Bryan

yes it's a bit of rust....but....

do you have to spoil my fantasy of him laying waste to the enemy hordes with a knife in one hand and a entrenching tool in the other while wearing his awards :rolleyes: