Picked this up from ebay, and just thought of it as a better quality tinnie, but I happened upon it in Heering & Huskens book He/Hu4606b

Saar_13.1.1935.gif

They're quite nice aren't they? I've had a few of these over the years, always the same, no different maker or anything like that. It's odd though that the standard badge without the gold wreath is harder to find than this gold version.

Here's mine

Cheers

Don

Saarpfalzvereine_in_gold_ob.jpg

• 11 months later...

This badge is about the victory of the Nazi-party in the Saar-territory in 1935.

Saarland went "Heim ins Reich", return to Germany.

In the centre the symbols for Saarland industry; coalmining, iron and steel ,the crossed hammers.

and symbol for agriculure-wine, the grapes.

Text around "Saarabstimmung 13.1.1935"; "Saar election 13.1.1935"

Text in the centre: "Bund der Saarpfalz-vereine" ; "Union of the Saarpfalz associations".

On the backside;

Ent(wurf)( design); A. Bernd Jr.

Ausf(?hrung)( production ); F. Mannheim

K(aisers)lautern (city)

for who is interested in more about the history of the Saarpfalz......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saar_%28protectorate%29

Cheers, :beer:

Benten

1P1240897vdtek4wc92kb.jpg

Wow, that's a nice looking badge, thanks for sharing :jumping:

I've inquirered about this little medal before, trying to find out who actually came up with it, but no suggestions were brought forward.

cheers

Peter

saar..JPG

Wow, that's a nice looking badge, thanks for sharing :jumping:

I've inquirered about this little medal before, trying to find out who actually came up with it, but no suggestions were brought forward.

cheers

Peter

I wonder whether this medal was given to the observers at the election. As with elections today I imagine that international representatives were sent/invited to check that it had been performed correctly.

Cheers

Don

I wonder whether this medal was given to the observers at the election. As with elections today I imagine that international representatives were sent/invited to check that it had been performed correctly.

Cheers

Don

Hi Don,

Those are my thoughts as well. I'm just curious as to who actually had them made. The medal itself is designed by Huguenin, but the wording on the reverse is in German. Huguenin was located in Switzerland, but I believe they had a branch in Paris as well. Both France and Germany were a part of this "conflict", hence an involvement in this medal seems odd. One interesting aspect is the way the countries names are spelled i.e. in their respective native languages. Perhaps this medal was awarded by the League of Nations?

cheers

Peter

Thank you for posting your badges and your kind replies.

Peter, probably the Nazis made this medal and put the names of the nations in their own language (inculding the depicted soldiers) to show the rest of the world their absolute fair election under control of these nations. The hand and the election box should give a nutral idea of a fair election in 1935.

I suppose the ribbon is German.

A very nice and interesting medal.

Cheers,

Benten

Edited by benten

Hi Don,

Those are my thoughts as well. I'm just curious as to who actually had them made. The medal itself is designed by Huguenin, but the wording on the reverse is in German. Huguenin was located in Switzerland, but I believe they had a branch in Paris as well. Both France and Germany were a part of this "conflict", hence an involvement in this medal seems odd. One interesting aspect is the way the countries names are spelled i.e. in their respective native languages. Perhaps this medal was awarded by the League of Nations?

cheers

Peter

I would bet money that is a quasi-official league of Nations medal for the election oversight officers for the Saarland plebiscetes. Germany was ferociously chauvinistic about producing their own goods and services after 1933. The League on the other hand, were right next door to Huguenin and ordered some badges from the company.

There is very little in print about the Leagues' actual on-the-ground activities.

• 5 years later...

I had always assumed that the standard version was mearly a cut-down version of the wreathed version i.e. the same badge with the wreath cut off.

You can imagine my surprise when I compared them, two very distinct & different badges....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On ‎21‎.‎03‎.‎2014 at 10:21, Scowen said:

I finally managed to find an example of the "standard" badge (minus the wreath) after many years of searching....

BSPV 2.jpg

BSPV 3.jpg

The normal membership pins are more rare than those with the oakleaves but I think that the normal ones were given back after being awarded with the oakleaf ones.

• 2 years later...