News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The scarcest unofficial medal on a bar EVER!

"L W V" stands presumably for "Landwehr-Verein", the M. for the city, well rather village. No chance to get to know which exactly, with thousands of villages with M. I guess it's more likely from Prussia. It hasn't Prussian but "Reichs" colors, but though an e.g. Bavarian or Saxon club would rather have used it's "own" state's colors for the ribbon. ;)

"L W V" stands presumably for "Landwehr-Verein", the M. for the city, well rather village. No chance to get to know which exactly, with thousands of villages with M. I guess it's more likely from Prussia.

yep, that's what i have always thought--it's funny that the cross was never "upgraded" to a better design. the owner must have been somewhat proud of this cross, as rick points out.

in any case, a not-so-good attempt at a "vanity award". it's more like a "hey, let's go use up some scrap metal and whip up a cross for our verein award"! :cheeky:

"L W V" stands presumably for "Landwehr-Verein", the M. for the city, well rather village. No chance to get to know which exactly, with thousands of villages with M. I guess it's more likely from Prussia. It hasn't Prussian but "Reichs" colors, but though an e.g. Bavarian or Saxon club would rather have used it's "own" state's colors for the ribbon. ;)

M might stand for something like a "Marine" or even "Mattrosen" as in Marine (or Mattrosen) Landwehr Verein. The Imperial navy was recruited from all over the Reich. Navy units did not wear a state cockade, only the single national one.

The Flandern medal next to it hints at a possible connection also. There were two Mattrosen land-based divisions that fought in the Ypres area. Up along the coast near Zeebrugge and Ostende were bases for air and naval units.

Les

• 11 years later...