News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870 iron cross awards

greetings. i have an 1870 campaign medal bar w/the 1870 IC w/25 yr oakleaf and the

bavarian military merit medal. only 612 were awarded. can it be id'd? the battles were

weissenburg, sedan, and paris. any help? best, braxton

greetings. can't scan, but it has the 1870 iron cross 2nd class w/25 yr oak leaf,

bav mil merit medal, and the 1870 camp medal w/bars weissenburg, sedan and paris. on trapezoidal mount. best, braxton

Interesting-weren't the bars put out @ 1900?

What order are the medals in?

The Centennial medal must've been worn separate?

I would really like to see that bar.

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

Then you've got problems. Very large and insurmountable problems.

Bavarian precedence put their awards first.

No Bavarian in 1895-97 would ever have worn a Prussian Iron Cross before a Bavarian Silver Bravery Medal.

Which is where scans come in....

though, unfortunately, even wthout scans this can pretty much be presumed to be yet another of the endless todal wave of rubbish Frankenstein parts bars being mass produced currently in Germany.

Sorry. :(

Perhaps-a post 1935 bar "made older" by the sammlerariatclub?

The EK2/BavMMcx/Hkx would be the correct precedence for post 1935 bars.

If the medals are hooked on the back.......at least the ribbon bar and 1870 campaign medal might be originals.

Perhaps-a post 1935 bar "made older" by the sammlerariatclub?

The EK2/BavMMcx/Hkx would be the correct precedence for post 1935 bars.

If the medals are hooked on the back.......at least the ribbon bar and 1870 campaign medal might be originals.

greetings. if you sen me your email address i'll send you scans of the bar. best, braxton

Then you've got problems. Very large and insurmountable problems.

Bavarian precedence put their awards first.

No Bavarian in 1895-97 would ever have worn a Prussian Iron Cross before a Bavarian Silver Bravery Medal.

Which is where scans come in....

though, unfortunately, even wthout scans this can pretty much be presumed to be yet another of the endless todal wave of rubbish Frankenstein parts bars being mass produced currently in Germany.

Sorry. :(

Hello everyone:

Rick is absolutely correct regarding this (as with all other things)! In order to receive the Bavarian Military Merit Medal the recipient would have to be a Bavarian (there may have been exceptions to this, but I do not know of any). And, a Bavarian veteran of the 1870-1871 conflict would wear the MVM, then the EKII, and then the campaign medal. I guess that it is possible that the Centennial was worn by itself. This group sounds a bit strange to be sure.

I wish that a photo/scan of it was posted. That would certainly help determine what is going on here.

Best regards,

"SPM"