News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Named Early US Air Force Uniform Help Requested

Verdun16

Here's a dress blue uniform to a LTC who served in the Army Air Corps in WW2 and remained in the military after the Air Force became a seperate service. I have had no luck trying to research the man and would appreciate any help that the forum could provide. The only info I have on this set is that I bought it at a Colorado Springs, Colorado Goodwill store in Oct 1999. It was on a rack of newer uniforms being sold as ideals for halloween costumes for the huge sum of $2.00,

Bryan

Inside tag is named to LT (think this should have been LTC) John Minahan and dated 5-9-58. Think the other numbers 58283 might be his service number or it could just be a laundry tracking #. Thanks again for any help,

Bryan

Hi Paul,

It's a private purchase set without a doubt and someone was very proud to wear the uniform. You just don't see them made like this anyone not even here in South Korea,

Bryan

Hi Paul,

It's a private purchase set without a doubt and someone was very proud to wear the uniform. You just don't see them made like this anyone not even here in South Korea,

Bryan

Unfortunately, I dont think that we are allowed to have them done like this anymore... :( I would pay the money to have mine done in this manner, if allowed!

wow-nice uniform.

There are USAF regular officer lists out there.

Maybe jeff Floyd has one?

Someone who was in as an enlisted guy in 1941 and served a long and tough career. That is a treasure.

In the 1964 AF Officer Active List there is no officer with the last name as MINAHAN

This is a verrrrrry nice uniform indeed . . . love the embroidery :jumping::jumping:

The wings are that for Senior Navigator

Edited by David S

This genealogy thread has a query...

http://genforum.genealogy.com/minahan/messages/43.html

Lt. Minahan--USAAF WWII

Posted by: Charles Jarrells Date: September 24, 2001 at 06:46:19

of 76

Military historian seeking any information on a Lt. Minahan who served as a navigator/bombadier with the US Army Air Force in WWII. Early in the war, he was assigned to B-24 aircraft in the Pacific, and eventually married an Australian woman during his tour of duty there. I have information that he was alive and living in Monument, CO as late as 1988, but have been unable to locate him.

Any information on this man would be greatly appreciated, especially his first name and/or a means to contact him or his family.

Followups:

No followups yet

I take it Monument CO means Monument Colarado?

May be him, maybe not...

Edited by leigh kitchen

And this link:

http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/usaaf/aaio.htm

refers to "ALLIED AIR INTELLIGENCE ORGANISATION IN AUSTRALIA DURING WW2" & the Allied Airforce Directorate of Intelligence, a combined RAAF & USAAF unit based at Melbourne & at Brisbane:

ALLIED AIR INTELLIGENCE CENTRE: (all in Room 420 AMP)

S/Ldr. Dawson, J.H.

F/Lt. Lonie, P.M.

Capt. Dabrenchuck, G.

Capt. Minahan, J.C.

Capt. Boot, W.F.

F/Lt. Bernays, P.C.

Lt. Sudduth, G.M.

Lt. Crowley, F.J.

Lt. Fowler, L.W.R.

Lt. Conant, D.

Flt./O Heard, S.F.

S/O Hohnen, G

S/O Bloch, M.E.

A/S/O Whittingham, M.D.C.

Again, maybe somethng, maybe not.

• 2 months later...

I did find this on the net:

MINAHAN, JOHN C

LT COL US AIR FORCE

WORLD WAR II, KOREA

DATE OF BIRTH: 05/25/1914

DATE OF DEATH: 08/06/1991

BURIED AT: SECTION MB SITE 10

FT. LOGAN NATIONAL CEMETERY

4400 WEST KENYON AVENUE DENVER, CO 80236

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

It appears to me that you have enough information to write to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO. you can find information on how to do this by goggling SF-180. Standard form 180 is used to get information on past military personnel. Here is what I saw from the posts:

John Minaham, Lieutenant Colonel retired. Army Air Corp - Army Air Force, US Air Force. started service before 7 Dec. 1941 (American Defense Medal). Served in the Pacific during WW2, spent 3 years overseas in combat zone. Service #58283. SS# not known. Date of birth and death unknown. Deseased. By 1958 had at least 17 years service, but less than 20 years (Air Force Longeviety Ribbon), means started service somewhere between 1938 and 1941. The Genealogy information should be helpful. Hope this helps - I have submitted SF-180's for reseach, and gotten a lot of information. Respectfully Captain George Albert