News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I acquired this Oldenburg cross among some other items and have my doubts as to whether its original and would be appreciative of some opinions. The '1914' on the obverse seems wonky, and the paintwork looks more of a gloss then the matt finish I have on another. But then the crown looks quite well defined and there are no obvious casting marks.

Hello Richarddwh:

It does look a bit odd. The details don't look as fine as they should be ("a bit wonky" is spot on). It is difficult to tell though with the photo provided. Is it magnetic?

The ribbon ring looks like painted aluminium.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

magnetic?

I meant to ask if it was ferrous and attracted a magnet. They were originally made from cast iron as I recall (at least in the earlier part of the war). Of course it would not be naturally magnetic unless a charge was imparted. Sorry, I have been working too much lately and I am very very tired!

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

i wouldn't be too hasty. remember--the EARLY ones were magnetic. these were also produced in other types of metal such as brass and 'unedles metall'.

also: if memory serves--weren't these also made as '57 pieces?

sure it's possible it's fake; they reproduce EVERYTHING these days, it seems.

Edited by Eric Stahlhut