News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Guys

This arrived today and I really like it, and God know?s it?s been hard to find one. I?m not to happy with the solder thus. I have asked one of mu very knowledgeable friends and he thinks it looks like a sloppy job from the factory and it?s not a repair. that makes sense, because the finish is applied on top of the solder.

Would really like you to post yours and give your thoughts here.

:cheers:

Karsten

Edited by Karsten S

Hi Guys

This arrived today and I really like it, and God know?s it?s been hard to find one. I?m not to happy with the solder thus. I have asked one of mu very knowledgeable friends and he thinks it looks like a sloppy job from the factory and it?s not a repair. that makes sense, because the finish is applied on top of the solder.

Karsten

I agree - period badge 100%. I also agree that it is just a crappy soldering job and not a repair. I like it regardless of the soldering technique! I'll scan mine when I can get a chance.

ERIC

Karsten,

Certainly a good badge, but the thing about ?Deumer? is the superb construction and finish they managed to achieve, even on their zinc examples.

The soldering of the hinge is a worry, and I would like to see a close-up of that area.

Either the soldering was done by a complete novice at the factory or the hinge has been reattached at some point. Going on these pictures, I would have to opt for this being a repair, unless someone has examples to show with similar sloppy workmanship? or a close-up shows a different story.

I think post #8 & #9 show that the soldering was factory applied, and then the middle portion was ground after the fact. Also the even finish in both areas (over the solder and ground region) suggests this too. Just my opinion :unsure:

ERIC

Hmmm?

If we accept that the hinge barrel was soldered to the wreath then the centre portion ground away to accommodate the pin-barrel, we should see clean lines to the edges of the grind and no solder over the marks made by the grinding tool. A close-up of the pic in post # 8 shows there to be an overlay of solder to the grind marks, and overlapping solder along the edges. So, extra solder applied at the time of construction?.or a later repair?

For me? it could go either way.

If we accept that the hinge barrel was soldered to the wreath then the centre portion ground away to accommodate the pin-barrel, we should see clean lines to the edges of the grind and no solder over the marks made by the grinding tool. A close-up of the pic in post # 8 shows there to be an overlay of solder to the grind marks, and overlapping solder along the edges. So, extra solder applied at the time of construction?.or a later repair?

For me? it could go either way.

Yes, #8 does seem to show surplus solder in the ground out section to the right. Could have been the original weld was considered too weak or perhaps cracked and had to be resoldered.

Agreed, could go either way. Here's the catch on my Deumer FJ. Some excess solder but definitely not a repair.

Edited by Richard Gordon

Hi Guys

Karsten

A little late Karsten, but just had the oppertunity to scan mine.

ERIC

Hi Guys

That?s all for your opinions. I have made a tuff call, and returned it to the seller :(

there is also solder here.

I will pay top price for a Deumer AG/RO, if any of you have a spare one. :blush:

Regards

Karsten

Karsten

I think you've made the right desision. Better to acquire a piece that you're totally happy with, rather one that you'll always wonder about.

I agree - if you're not 100% comfortable with it and will always have that doubt in the back of your mind, it's best to bypass it and wait for another - heaven knows we've all done it a thousand times! Good luck and may it be a short wait for you Karsten.

ERIC