News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2nd Afghan War: British Personnel

My Grandfather, surname Walford, infantry, rank & regiment unknown, fought in this campaign and later definitely in 1900. My Father Edward Ernest Walford fought here 1932-1937, RHA, RQMS mainly I Battery, later LtCol MBE RA

How do I find any info about these gentlemen,specially Grandad? Family legend says he marched to Kabul but dates dont seem to match.

All info on searching welcome.

Ronald Walford

• 5 weeks later...

Ron,

Don't know if this will be of any use to you, but your fathers service records may still be in existence and held by the Army Records Dept which used to be at Hayes in Middlesex. However I seem to remember that all records which were post WWI or WWII related were being moved to the National Archive at Kew, but am unsure if this was ever carried out.

MOD also have a website(or did) which had a contact e.mail address for records, but I belive you now have to pay and have positive proof that you are a blood relative.

For your grandfather that may be a bit more difficult, as anyone who served in the Army pre-WWI, who was called back to serve saw their records being carried over. Sadly a large proportion of these records were destroyed during the Blitz. Those that did survive were copied onto microfiche and some are now available on Ancestry.com, but you have to pay to use that service.

I also believe that those that served on the NW Frontier, who have gained an Indian GSM, with clasp/s will appear in the relevant campaign Roll Book, again probably located at Kew, and I'll ask some of my mates what the format will be as I've only ever used Medal Roll Books for the Great War.

What was grandads Christian name?

Edited by Graham Stewart

• 2 years later...
    • 1 year later...