News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Grenzschutz Bromberg

Guest Rick Research

Massively--God alone knows "why" faked. I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 meter pole-- that is supposed to be a SLEEVE badge, not a "decoration." The pin is a dead giveaway--as is the submerged in chicken **** "age" patina on the utterly wrong copper.

But you should really seek out VK Ager and ask him.

Massively--God alone knows "why" faked. I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 meter pole-- that is supposed to be a SLEEVE badge, not a "decoration." The pin is a dead giveaway--as is the submerged in chicken **** "age" patina on the utterly wrong copper.

But you should really seek out VK Ager and ask him.

Thanks Rick, VK has had a look and said "Unfortunately, I do not have one of these in my collection to use as a touchstone and I have a couple of prejudices against this particular type. So, as painful as it might be, I'll have to have to climb on the fence on this one. Damn, those pickets are sharp!

First, contemporary written sources suggest that this was a a sleeve emblem. So, a pinback would not be appropriate. Period sleeve items were almost universally sew-ons and the size of something like this would have demanded it. Secondly, this emblem has a been a dime a dozen in the marketplace, which should always give pause.

However, what if the sources were wrong or we have taken too much for granted and this was actually an award? (You'll note that in my book I have this as "sleeve?", so I 've had doubts for some time.) Then the pinback is appropriate and part of the first argument goes away.

I like the strike. I like the aging. I'm not so crazy about the hinge (but it's no outrage). The catch seems ok. So, all in all I'd say this one has a good chance of being ok if we accept the award thesis".

I have seen a period photo of the badge worn on an armband......for the life of it I cannot find it!

Guest Rick Research

He is the master-- anything I've managed to retain in the memory banks came from him! :beer: