Can anyone help identify this item?

This breast star (a bit big to be for a hat) is about 10 cm (4 inches) across and has the badge common to the Chaplains Departments of several Commonwealth countries.

• 1 month later...

Hallo Greg, can you show the back?

Plates like this remind me of ones worn on the broad shoulder belts,

I wonder if it came off a band instrument harness, for example a Drummer?

Or a band thats not military connected??

Kevin in Deva :beer:

As I recall, it has changed over time. This one has been discussed on various fora and is most confusing.

At least I think. Rather working from memory here.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I'm trying to remember the colours of the King's Crown RACD cap badge I have - it's as per the centre piece of the star shown, but I think it's of Gilt, with silver & blue enamelled cross.

Anybody know anything about "Agnew", the manufacturer of the star?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...A:IT&ih=013

this is the one on ebay at present. The centre design is certainly that used by Commonwealth Chaplain's Departments but it is not a piece of the uniform and certainly couldn't be worn on a stole. It could but your stole would end up on the floor.

I suspect that it is from a Masonic organisation or association of military chaplains but having been one, I've never heard of any association using this badge/star.

Anyone found out anything about the maker AGNEW ?

Greg.

• 2 months later...

These items have turned up on ebay over the last couple of years, and probably before. They are not connected to the Royal Army Chaplains Department. They do happen to appear to use some similar devices to the Commonwealth chaplaincy service badges. Others have the same motto in Latin. [probably taken from Canadian cap badges].

I heard from 2 sources [canadian grapevine and RAChD museum] that they have been created in Canada for several years for sale to unsuspecting buyers. What is there to suspect? Not much, since no one appears to know quite what they are for. If they are made to sell as "possible" chaplain pieces that would explain something.

I have seen these done as ear-rings and sweetheart brooches as well.

regards

Matt

Greg;

I meant the same design as the centre used in the creation of this spurious [possibly faked] breast star. I have seen them in red like this, and also blue and green. I strongly suspect they were made taking the design from the small RAChD collar dog and probably by the same individual who made that breast star.

thanks

Matt

PS editted because I have now found a photo I saved of said items for reference, plus another one of a breast star sold last yr on ebay, plus a fantasy ap badge with blue and red enamelling

Edited by MattGibbs
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Leigh;

These are Chaplains Scarf badges. The stole is something different and quite a bit smaller.

Indeed almost certainly produced for museums or re-enactment as the originals were embroidered directly on to the Scarf itself. They look well made.

Regards

Matt