News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

London County Council Record of War Service

Hallo Gents,

I have been distracted for a while with domestic duties (nappies, pushing prams around in parks, hallucinating through sleep deprivation), but thought I'd share this recent purchase.

Published in 1922, it is a record of the war service for council employees during WW1. This covers everyone from Sludge Dredger crews on the Thames, to teachers and senior civil servants. There are alphabetical lists for each department, with details for each man on where they served, decorations, and other info of interest. As ever, I am happy to help with requests for info on London soldiers, to see if they are listed.

As I find is often the case with these books, you often get 'freebies' thrown in which can become research subjects in their own right. This particular copy was presented to Major M H Easton of the 25th London (cyclist) battalion. If anyone here has his medals (BWM/Vic pair, Terr. Forces War Medal), then let me know!

Cheers

Gilbert

Edited by deptfordboy

Gilbert,

I've just remembered that I have his medals :D Only joking.

What I have just remembered though is that I have the book "The Lambeth and Southwark Volunteers" published in 1965 so, if you need any info from it let me know. Still haven't found any Neals, Forresters or Bucketts in it although the family has been in Southwark since 1790 something. That's Buckett with double T.

And the National Roll of the Great War section XIII

Tony

Edited by Tony

• 1 year later...

The National Roll I have is for is only for Bermondsey, Walworth, Camberwell, Peckham, Lewisham, Greenwich areas. If Gilbert doesn't find him in his book, I'll check my one when I'm back home next weekend or if the wife phones I'll ask her to pull it off the shelf and look.

I'm quite sure I have all rolls on cd somewhere.

Tony

Is it Sjt Major Alfred Edward Kitchen? I just checked the LCC book and he is certainly mentioned, with details of how he won the MM. If this is your man, let me know and I'll post the details. There is no Kitchen in my copy of the National Roll (Vol II)

Cheers

Gilbert

Edited by deptfordboy

Only 2 Kitchin's in my National Roll and both from Rotherhithe. Pte. AJ Kitchen and Drummer P Kitchen.

So who is it, the Pte. with BWM & Victory medals or the Sjt. Major with MM?

On an off topic side note, a few glasses of IPA and a curry have more medicinal value than you may think. Not a lot of people know that.

Edited by Tony

Thanks, chaps - the Kitchen I'm after is Alfred Richard Kitchen, a corporal, originally of the East Surreys, later of the Labour Corps (he started off fit enough as he was a pre war bare knuckle fighter & a boxer in the army, but medically downgraded due to wounds or illness presumably?)

He was from Rotherhithe & Deptford.

• 2 weeks later...

Ta, dunno - you don't appreciate how many Kitchens there are around until you start looking for one & then you find they've rolled across the UK like ragwort.

This bloke's volunteered which isn't a family trait.

I have a couple of document & letter groups to a pair of WWI Kitchens, unrelated as far as I know - one was a signals bloke at Gallipoli, his diary includes a not about being bombed by Taubs I think.

I actually saw one of these books today, for the first time - looks like they were sent out to next of kin of casualties?

This one was inscribed in memory of an HAC man.

Going for about ?22 I think it was.

?22 is a very good price I think.

My one belonged to my g Grandad. They had to pay to be entered in the book and I believe they made suggestions as to what should be written, but I don't know if he paid for it. There's no price inside.

I noticed at the weekend that I have section III parts A and B on cd.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Gilbert,

Can you look up a name for me please; he's Frederick Percy Spencer of the 16th Public Schools Battalion, Middlesex Regt. He may have been living in New Cross or Camberwell at the time.

I've checked the London Roll of Honour and couldn't find him there so here's hoping he worked for the council.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for giving it a go Gilbert.

I don't know what he did for a living, well not yet I don't. I was just hoping he may worked for the council but now that I know his service record survived the bombings, I will probably get to know him quite well.

Tony