News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rising Sun badge

Hello,

Does anyone know what the difference is between a Great War AIF hat badge and a 2nd World War badge? Are they brass?

When did the naming change from Australian Commonwealth Military Forces to Australian Defence Force or is it just that the army's known as the ADF?

As I'm thinking of buying a Great War badge, is there anything I should be aware of such as re-strikes?

Thanks

Tony

Thanks for the replies.

I've checked diggerhistory but it doesn't give much info apart from Great War badges being blackened copper and and later brass being used. I've also been told the opposite. I think I might just buy one and make myself believe it's a Great War period piece.

I was speaking to a dealer the other day who said there are too many differences to mention, I think it could be a top secret thing :unsure:

Your one looks nice to me Larry, can you tell if it's brass or copper?

These badges are getting quite expensive in my opinion actually, everything AIF is.

Tony

The many differences (indicated to me by dealers but not explained) between both world war badges never seem to be mentioned. Maybe the only difference is the metal used to stamp the post 1902 and pre 1949 badges.

If this is the standard price for a Great War version I won't be buying one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...A:IT&ih=015

Tony