News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Liberation of Kuwait Medal, 3rd Class made by Spink & Son, Ltd.

This Liberation of Kuwait Medal, 3rd Class is made by Spink & Son, Ltd., London, UK

I bought this at the last FJP Auction. Also shown is the inside of the lid for the box.

:beer: Doc

How many different patterns are there of this medal?

How many different patterns are there of this medal?

Hello Paul,

This medal was awarded in five classes. The one that U.S. forces received was the 5th Class. As I understand it, the Defence Department stipulated that only the 5th Class should be awarded to U.S. troops. Here's a link to the OMSA Medal Database: http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=981

It shows all 5 Classes. Here's the 5th Class.

The grades are labeled on the photos in the link you provided. This is a very attractive set! The First class neck order seems like it would look very attractive! I am surprised that CENCOM did not authorize all five classes as they were supposed to be awarded!!

Yes, they were awarded by rank. The US only allowed acceptance of the lowest class (except for Schwarzkopf). While other non-Arab "allies" in Gulf War II allowed acceptance of the full range of classes, few have allowed the wearing of the medal.

With regards to the UK, servicemen are not allowed to wear this Medal (Heard that before)

Strangely enough, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office has given permission for the Saudi Arabian version of the Liberation of Kuwait Medal to be worn in a few cases.

The Saudi issue Liberation of Kuwait Medal is also regarded as the senior in precedence of the two Medals.

Best regards Eddie.

Edited by Taz

• 7 months later...

I recieved a 4th class, I think that was the same for all French soldiers?

Happily for me the French allowed both Saudi AND Kuwait versions, but objectively it is overkill and medal bar inflation. It simply means 3 medals for the same thing.

The quality of these is also putrid, I think the Kuwaiti"s were screwed by the folks that had the contracts... or they did not want to pay a lot....

I recieved a 4th class, I think that was the same for all French soldiers?

Happily for me the French allowed both Saudi AND Kuwait versions, but objectively it is overkill and medal bar inflation. It simply means 3 medals for the same thing.

The quality of these is also putrid, I think the Kuwaiti"s were screwed by the folks that had the contracts... or they did not want to pay a lot....

Chris, What was your rank? The Fourth Class was awarded to Capt., 1st LT., 2nd LT. & Warrant Officers.

Edited by Riley1965

Here I can show the Kuwait Liberation Order 2nd Class.

It's in metal gilt (not gold!) and there should be an enameled device on ribbon.

I founded it in Milano like that.

First Class is a neck badge with red enameled arms,and looks +/- similar to Kuwait National Defense Order (which is a breast decoration).

Emmanuel

• 2 months later...

Hello gentlemen,

the ribbon for these medals are very specialy made.

I think the manufacturer has used a kind of screenprinting to do the black pattern.

Because it is not possible to do it with weft or warp.

Any better solutions?

Thanks

• 3 years later...

Gentlemen,

I think there is some confusion over the grades of these medals.

I think i am correct in saying that the lowest grade of this medal is fourth grade.

In reverse order:

fourth grade awarded to all other ranks

third grade awarded to junior officers

second grade awarded to officers of field rank

first grade awarded to to brigadiers and major-generals

The Excellent Grade was awarded only to the most senior allied commanders,

so there are indeed five grades, but there is no fifth grade award because of the Excellent Grade being the highest.

I have purchased a 3rd grade medal today complete with it's named packaging to a captain.

It is round with a silver grey five pointed star with a radiant background.The original packaging is stamped third grade.

These details are confirmed in the medal yearbook 2012.

So,i believe the photo posted of the 2nd class medal is actually a first class medal and the excellent grade award will be the medal worn around the neck.

I hope this information is of help and if anyone knows anything different i would be interested to hear from you

keith

Gentlemen,

Just a note but as far as the Kuwaitis are concerned this is the "Order of Liberation" and not just a Liberation medal. The words "Wissam At-tahrir" (Order of Liberation) are visible on the obverse of the 1st and 4th class grades, but not on the Excellent, 2hd or 3rd class grades.

With regard to the manufacture of the Order I have a letter from the Spink Medal Services Department dated 8 June 1998 where it is noted that ".......Spink did not in fact manufacture the Kuwait Liberation Medal (sic). We did supply Kuwait with the original designs along with a full quotation for manufacturing, but they then had the medals manufactured, very cheaply, somewhere in the Far East, we think Hong Kong." Spink did though, along with other manufacturers - Huguenin of Switzerland in Europe, manufacture the Saudi Liberation of Kuwait Medal. The box illustrated by Doc is a standard Spink issue box.

Kind regards from Riyadh,

Owain

• 5 years later...

Gentlemen,

Interesting reading but it leaves me confused as to what medal that I actually have.  Is it a medal or an Order?  I believe mine to be a third class using the 2012 medal book as a guide.  I bought it yesterday at a local coin shop.  It comes complete with the with cardboard issue packaging, the dark red case and of course the medal and the ribbon bar.  Perhaps oamotme  can translate what the two gold lines on the box and case say in English?

DSC05644 (2).JPG

DSC05646 (2).JPG

DSC05648 (2).JPG

DSC05652.JPG

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 2 weeks later...