News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Having been fortunate enough to find just about all the U-Boat ribbons from later periods (Kriegsmarine and Bundesmarine) I'm now concentrating on Kaiserliche Marine - a much harder task- and thought I'd show those I've managed to find so far.

First up, I've shown before but it's one of my favourites, the ribbon for SMS Vulkan, a U-Boat recovery ship which also housed the very first Unterseebootschule.

With the expansion of the U-Boat arm, in September 1913 a new ribbon was introduced reflecting the re-organisation into 4 half-flotillas elements of which were based variously in Helgoland, Brunsb?ttel, Wilhelmshaven, Emden and Borkum. Regulations stated that the ribbon should carry the half-flotilla number before and after the text.

This rare variant example lacks the number.

Gordon,

Thanks for showing these. Being a collector of imperial marine items myself, I can sure appreciate them. How many Halbflotte and Flotte numbers existed? I don't have the book on the subject that might inform me of this. If there were many, this could be an expensive endeavor for you.

I once owned a cut-down "Unterseeboot 9" , or was it "U9", ribbon and though it was the normal size and lettering, I was never sure if it was a military piece or a commercial piece that was taking advantage of the wide popularity of the Weddigen and his boat. Did individual boats have their own ribbons? I am looking for ribbons from the ground based naval troops, like the Matrosen Regiments, Marine Pionier, etc.

Chip

Gordon,

Thanks for showing these. Being a collector of imperial marine items myself, I can sure appreciate them. How many Halbflotte and Flotte numbers existed? I don't have the book on the subject that might inform me of this. If there were many, this could be an expensive endeavor for you.

I once owned a cut-down "Unterseeboot 9" , or was it "U9", ribbon and though it was the normal size and lettering, I was never sure if it was a military piece or a commercial piece that was taking advantage of the wide popularity of the Weddigen and his boat. Did individual boats have their own ribbons? I am looking for ribbons from the ground based naval troops, like the Matrosen Regiments, Marine Pionier, etc.

Chip

Hi Chip,

Glad you like them. There are five numbered ribbons, so between the numbered Halb-Flotillen and Flotillen alone there are 10 ribbons. I'm only looking for one of each, but if I wanted to be a "completist", I'd have to get both the silver letterd and gold lettered types, so that would be 20 for these alone !

Yes, individual numbered U-Boat ribbons exist but were unofficial, or "Kantinenb?nder".

I will PM you regarding the ribbons you are looking for.

• 5 years later...

Hi

I found this interesting thread and I want share here my only one kaiserliche marine cap tally:UNTERSEEBOOTS FLOTILLE FLANDERN,is made in silver.

I would like to know how many kaiserliche marine u-boats flotilles did they exist and if are all ribbons of them rarest and scarce to find at present and finally how many years was used this FLANDERN ribbon.....

Thanks in advance

:anmatcat:

3ibe.jpg697.JPG

Edited by SICHERHEITSDIENTS