News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uniform Identification Help Please

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a couple of photo post cards and this one was tagged as being two soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian Army. I though they looked like French uniforms and there was a photographers stamp on the back that dated the photo as being from 1926, which would make if pretty well impossible to be from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Also the location of the photograhper's studio is given as Nimes, which I believe is in France.

I will post a closeup of the two showing the collar markings next.

I liked the sword held by the fellow on the right and I am wondering if this indicates he was in the post 1918 French Calvary? I realize that photo props do not always indicate rank or affiliation.

Any help with nationality, rank or any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Here is a closer view of the insignia.

The soldier on the left has the number 22 above what looks like a bugle. I've seen this "bugle" insignia somewhere else but I can't locate those notes at the moment. The beret badge does not show up even under high magnicication but it is a tear-drop shape, he is wearing cords on the left shoulder.

The soldier on the left has clearly marked collars, numbered 19 and the wedge shaped hat has a single cheveron. The boots look like calvary but that may just be me wanting it to be calvary.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Brian

These two soldiers are French.

The smaller man is a Chasseur alpin ("cor de chasse" or hunting horn). Dark blue uniform (chasseurs) and beret (alpins) .

22nd Batallion.

Period : between WW1 and WW2 since this man wears a "fourrag?re" meaning his batallion won at least 2 Mentions in dispaches during WW1. If the number on his uniform is 22, then the fourragere is M?daille militaire (4 mentions in dispaches) which is yellow with green.

The taller man is probably a horseman. The regimental number 19 could be white on a black background. In which case he would be a dragoon. The long sword should be straight (latte). The slightly curved sword was normally issued to light cavalry (hussards, chasseurs ? cheval) and other mounted units (artillery, train des ?quipages, etc..).

His uniform could be the light blue (bleu horizon) worn during WW1 and gradually abandonned after 1928. By 1935, the number of dragoon regiments had been reduced to 12.

Neither men wear any medals or decorations. They are post-WW1.

This would therefore mean they were national service men between 1919 and 1930. Which is consistant with the date 1926 on the reverse of the photo.

The photograph also illustrates an other trait of French conscription : shorter men went to Infantry (especially Chasseurs) and taller men to Cuirassiers and Dragoons, as well as garrison artillery.

Hope this helps

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Hello Boris,

There is no such thing as late when more information is concerned.

Many thanks

Brian