News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A few from my collection

Here are a few photographs from my collection.

The first cabinet photo c.1890 shows Mr H. Garland in the uniform of an officer or senior NCO of the Natal Mounted Rifles. As a trooper in the Victoria Mounted Rifles, Garland was Mentioned in Despatches for actions at Eshowe during the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. He wears the 1877-79 South Africa Medal (which is often referred to as the Zulu War Medal) with the single clasp awarded for that war. The Natal Mounted Rifles were formed in 1888 from several Zulu War-era volunteer units including the Victoria Mounted Rifles, the Stanger Mounted Rifles, the Alexandra Mounted Rifles and the Durban Mounted Rifles.

Garland-800x1226.jpg

This second cabinet photograph from 1894 shows Sergeant W. Armstorng of the Shanghai Volunteer Corps. The photo was probably taken while Armstrong was visiting family in England.

SergtArmstrongSVC.jpg

And finally for this post is a fine unmounted photograph c. 1905 of a much decorated sergeant of The King's African Rifles. This man probably served with the 2nd Battalion, Central African Rifles prior to this units amalgamation into the King's African Rifles in 1902. He wears four campaign medals the first of

which is the Central Africa Medal w/ bar "Central Africa 1894-98" earned as a member of the Central African Rifles, nesx the East & West Africa Medal 1887-1900. Only issued without a bar for the M'wele campaign of 1895-96, third the Ashanti Medal 1900 with bar "Kumassi". Both bns.of the KAR were represented at the capture of Kumassi and finally the Africa General Service Medal 1902-06 w/ unknown bar. Even at this late date he is still armed with and early mark Martini-Henry rifle.

NCOKingsAfricanRifles.jpg

Hello Peachy,

Cracking photos, please keep them coming if you have more.

I don't know anything about Victorian soldiers and only have some family photos from around the turn of the century as well as one I bought recently probably from the 1870s at a guess, of an unidentified soldier.

Are the first two photos named on the reverse or are they family? The last photo is just great, was it normal for The King's African Rifles not to wear boots?.

Tony

Hello Peachy,

Are the first two photos named on the reverse or are they family? The last photo is just great, was it normal for The King's African Rifles not to wear boots?.

Tony

Tony

Yes, bare feet was the norm for KAR rankers until at least 1914. If you look carefully, however, you'll see that he is wearing puttees - dark blue if I recall correctedly - also standard for the regiment. A truly lovely shot of an underapreciated unit!

Peter

Hello Peachy,

Cracking photos, please keep them coming if you have more.

I don't know anything about Victorian soldiers and only have some family photos from around the turn of the century as well as one I bought recently probably from the 1870s at a guess, of an unidentified soldier.

Tony

Tony,

Yes. both of the first two photographs are identified with period inscritptions on their reverse side. I almost alwasy try to find photos that or identified like that and then attempt th research the sitter, Of course when I come across a really nice - though unidentifed - image like the KAR sergeant I'll still try to get my hands on it simply because it is a great snap shot of history.

Excellent photos, thanks for posting them. Here is one from my own collection, a signed cabinet card showing Colonel Henry Edward Davidson of the Yorkshire Regiment.

He was originally commissioned as an Ensign in 1858 in the 100th Regiment of Foot, (Prince of Wales Royal Canadians) before bring appointed Lt Colonel of the 2nd Bn Yorkshire Regiment in 1881.

In 1900 he was shown as a Colonel on retired pay having served continually since his commission.

Keep the images coming please, like everyons else I really like the African image. :cheers: