News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Independent India - group of 3 medals with 2 missing

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

Here is a group of three medals I purchased resently with only one of the three medals actually present.

The medals and/or the ribbons representing the medals are:

Special Service Medal (1986)

Sainya Seva Medal (1960)

9 Year Long Service Medal (1971)

This group was awarded to:

14491923 GNR. K. PINGLELG. ARTY

This group was posted on the SAGONGS forum and I think the following comments that were recieved sums up this group, and others like it, pretty well.

"A very common pattern, where medals have not been issued. At least they weren't replaced with ugly shiney tailor's copies. ... A nice example of current phaleristic reality." - Thanks to Ed Haynes for his comments.

I have seen this before and in fact one of my Pakistan groups has one medal absent. I'll post that another time.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

A very common sight to see. I passed on (and I think I now regret that decision) a mounted "group" of seven medals with only the Sainya Seva Medal actually present, all the others being represtational ribbons.

Guest Rick Research

From the fact that these are mounted, I assume they are actually WORN this way????? :speechless1::speechless1:

WHY? What is the "insurmountable problem" in giving soldiers the cheap alloy medals they have earned? If (shudder) the paperwork has gone through the bureaucrtic gauntlet-- where are the medals?

Are there photos of these being worn on parade?

It's embarassing that any government could be THIS non-functional :banger:

From the fact that these are mounted, I assume they are actually WORN this way????? :speechless1::speechless1:

Yes.

WHY? What is the "insurmountable problem" in giving soldiers the cheap alloy medals they have earned? If (shudder) the paperwork has gone through the bureaucrtic gauntlet-- where are the medals?

Slowness of issue from the mint (or in submission of rolls, whichever), Many medals are no made by private contractors, who are even slower. This all helps the military tailors get rich(er) selling their special garbage.

Are there photos of these being worn on parade?

Sure, shall dig some out and add.

It's embarassing that any government could be THIS non-functional :banger:

Yes. No argument here.

As one example, the most recent living recipients of the Param Vir Chakra (India's Victoria Cross equivalent). Admittedly, their need to appear in public was driven by political and public relations concerns.

Guest Rick Research

Thanks, Ed.

But it is mind boggling that even the bravest of the brave-- ESPECIALLY when being trotted out for cameras-- and NOBODY could speed things up? :violent:

How is it possible that an army that is SO good, can have such "problems" with Napoleon's aphoristic incentives? :banger:

Part of the problem is that everyone in the military cares about high-tech toys and more medals for generals than they do about getting earned awards to their soldiers. These is a growing sense: You really want a medal NOW, then go to a military tailor and buy yourself one (and it will be all sparkly, which will surely entertain the colonel, for folks like that love sparkly things).

Sound like other countries we can think of?

As The Book addresses some of these issues, the authors may wind up in jail.

Edited by Ed_Haynes