News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finnish wound badge

I just found a website that says that this is a Badge for Disabled Veterans. It was created on May 18th 1942.

If that's the case ...why would it have the 1939-1945 dates on it ? It must be a Post War item

Hi Rick and Mike,

The badge is 37 mm in diameter,

It is made of silver plated brass.

And it is actuality not awarded during

The war. It is a wound ? invalid badge for war

Veterans.

There are three types of Finnish wound badges / invalid badges.

One for the civil war 1918, one for the winter-war

1939-40 and the 1939-45 badge.

That is all I know about the badge,

Cheers,

Ronny.

Hi Ronny ..With all the games (Fantasy medals etc) being played on collectors out there these days ..I was not sure if you knew that it was post war ..we have to be so careful

That site also said that they had a design (in 1942) for a wound badge but , because of the War ...they never produced it ..I wonder if yours is the one they designed.

Anyway ..Thanks for showing it ...it's a great looking badge and now that I learned about it ...I'll keep my eyes open for one as well.

Hi Ronny (and rest).

That's one though badge to find information of. The best description is in Baron Ernst Fabian Wrede's 1945 book "Finlands Utm?rkelsetecken' which is, quite conveniently, in swedish. As my swedish is far from perfect, especially when it comes to more technical stuff, maybe you can make a quick update about it?

Det nya krig, som begynte den 22 juni 1941, gav anledning till att ?verbef?lhavaren ?r 1944 instiftade ett nytt invalidm?rke. Stadganden f?r detsamma ha dock ej ?nnu blivit slutligt fastst?llda.

Detta m?rke ?r f?rf?rdigat av oxiderad, f?rsilvrad m?ssing och har formen av en stiliserad krans, som m?ter 36 mm i diameter. Innanf?r kransen finnes ett frihetskors av samma metal av dimensionen 24x24 mm. I korsvinklarna ?ro tvenne sv?rd med avbrutna spetsar placerade. P? fr?nsidan ?r upptill ?rtalet, d? invaliden s?rats eller skadats, angivet och nedtill m?rkets l?pande nummer. ?ven detta m?rke skulle f?rlanas i samma utf?rande, oberoende av det antal s?r invaliden ?dragit sig.

Det stilfulla tecknet har komponerats av professor Carolus Lindberg.

J?mtlikt ett f?rslag till best?mmelser f?r detsamma skulle ?ven det nya m?rket p? samma s?tt som 1939-1940 ?rs krigs invalidm?rke f?rl?nas av ?verbef?lhavaren p? framst?llning av styrelsen f?r krigsinvalidernas Br?draf?rbund.

Ber?ttigad att erh?lla m?rket skulle den vara, som under 1939-1940 ?rs krig eller 1941-1944 ?rs krig blivit s?rad, eller vilken bevislingen blivit genom i kriget ?dragna anstr?ngningar best?ndigt sjuk eller direkt skadats genom kriget och vilken h?rj?mte uppfyllde f?ljande villkor:

a) godk?nts s?som medlem av Krigsinvalidernas Br?daf?rbund samt

b) f?tt sin arbetsf?rm?ga genom ?dragna s?rskador eller sjukdom nedsatt med minst 30 % och vilken p? grund h?rav j?mlikt krigsolycksfallslagen beviljats livstidspenison eller kunnat erh?lla s?dan.

Efter att ha inh?mtat inspekt?rens f?r invalidv?rden eller arm?ns ?verl?kares utl?tande kan Krigsinvalidernas Br?daf?rbund j?mlikt f?rslaget till stadganden f?resl? tilldelande av m?rket ?ven ?t s?dana invalider, vilkas arbetsf?rm?ga ej nedsatts med mins 30 %, d?rest dem definitiv beviljats livstidspension, ?vensom ?t alla, som blivit amputerade redan f?rran slutligt utslag om deras livstidspension fattats, under f?ruts?ttning att invaliditeten stiger till minst 30 %.

P? samma s?tt som tidigare skulle person som gjort sig skyldig till en soldat?ran befl?cknade handling eller en invalids anseende neds?ttande g?rning, vara ?v?rdig att erh?lla tecknet, och hade han redan erh?llit m?rket, kunde han d?mas detsamma f?rlustig.

Invalidm?rket skulle till milit?r uniform b?ras p? mitten av vapenrockens h?gra br?stficka eller p? motsvarande st?lle. Till annan uniform eller till civil dr?kt skulle det ?ven b?ras p? samma s?tt. Till civil dr?kt kunde m?rke h?rj?mte b?ras i miniatyrformat, i vilket fall det f?stes p? h?gra rockuppslaget.

Invalidm?rke skulle, s?som framg?r redan av dess ben?mning f?rlanas ?ven deltagare i vinterkriget. Utdelandet och anv?ndandet av 1939-1940 ?rs krigs invalidm?rke skulle j?mlikt f?rslaget till stadgandena f?r det nya m?rket upph?ra. Styrelsen f?r Krigsinvalidernas Br?draf?rbund r.f. skulle ?ligga att ?vervaka m?rkets anv?ndning samt att infordra ?terst?llande av det gamla tecknet.

Pete

Edited by Pete A

Guest Rick Research

Well, using the race-memory of my Stockholm and Lapp ancestors:

The new badge for wounds 1941-44 was designed by Professor Carlous Lindberg, and was made of oxydized silvered brass with a diameter of 36mm.

Now the first part of that text (the rest is who qualified by what disaibility level and where it should be worn and so on) says that on the upper side of the reverse is dated when the invalid was wounded or injured--

the text makes it sound like a SPECIFIC date as in "22 September 1942," but presumably the war years are what was meant

but also on the lower part of the reverse there should be a running number from award rolls and the badge should also indicate the number of times the invalid was wounded or injured.

The badge above is BLANK, without those numbers-- so I wonder if such complicated and expensive individual stamping was abandoned at some point, and later badges were just handed out plain? Maybe in 1945 when the book was published the intention was to stamp all that on back, but maybe it was never done?

Has anybody got an example that IS numbered on the reverse?

That much I understood too with my 6+ years of studying my "second native language" :o ..I've personally never seen any other reverses than the one above, and the explanation that this 1945-idea was dropped later on seems logical. The 1918 invalid badge was numbered. But am I correct that this badge was supposed to replace the 1939-1940 version?

Pete

Rick impressive translation :beer:

I have never seen numbered badge either.

If I understand correctly it was meant to

Replace the 1939-40 badge, and for wounds in the 1941-44 war.

I think the book is Written with old Swedish, so it not so

easy to understand correctly not even for me. :speechless::rolleyes:

Pete do you have a 1918 or 1939-40 badge?

Cheers,

Ronny.

• 3 weeks later...

About the badges:

There are three different badges for Badge for Disabled Veterans, so these are not excatly a wounded badges.

The badges are:

1. Badge for Disabled Veterans of Liberation war 1918

- established 29.8.1925 by President of Finland

- that badge was given also those who were wounded. There was a wounded tribes in use after war. The tribes were sew on the sleeve.

- numbered and also the name of the recipient carved on the screwplate

2. Badge for Disabled veterans of Winter war 1939-40

- established 12.12.1940 by President of Finland

- to get badge must be a permanent invalid

- numbered

3. Badge for Disabled Veterans of the wars 1939-45

- this badge was established soon after the wars and this badge included also the Winter war veterans, so the Badge for Disabled veterans of Winter war 1939-40 was not given after that.

- to get the badge must be apermanent invalid, at least 10 % disability.

- NOT numbered

Regards,

Jussi-Pekka

Edited by Kameli