News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Group to Sr. Lt. Nikolay Nikitovich Tretyak - Afghanistan

Guest Rick Research

That was certainly earned the hard way. And I wonder what the rest of his crew got for the same flying?

The really strange thing is that his OSH3 was granted under precisely similar conditions!!!!

Here's my cut at the OSH3 citation. Note that there is no explanation why this award was changed from a Red Star. Again, I welcome any advice with my translation.

Serving in the DRA (Democratic Republic of Afghanistan) since August 20, 1983 comrade Tretyak N.N. again carried out his international duty to protect the gains of the April Revolution. He has achieved the qualification MASTER. He has flown 2340 hours. In the DRA, he has flown 510 hours and has executed 550 combat sorties. He is proficient in aviation technics and competently maintains the aircraft on the ground and in the air. In combat sorties, he was daring, resolute and composed. During operations in the areas of KANDAHAR, HIRISHK, SHINDANA, ----KABU, PANDZHSHER, he personnaly destroyed 1 DSHK, 2 motor vehicles, and suppressed rebel firing positions.

On May 12, 1984 during the performance of a combat sortie he opportunely utilized his onboard weapon to suppress 2 rebel firing positions.

On July 21, 1984 during an air reconnaissance mission, he observed and utilizing his onboard weapon destroyed a motor vehicle and a rebel firing position. In doing so, he demonstrated his courage and high professional mastery, skilled completely in the combat use of the onboard weapon.

Conclusion: For valor and courage shown during the performance of international duty in the DRA, deserves to be awarded governmental order "Red Star".

280th Independent Helicopter Regiment

Colonel V. Gorshkov

Guest Rick Research

I get Kandahar, Girishk, Shinshand, Kabul, and Pandshsher for the place names-- at least I've HEARD of the two BIG ones on your citation! Kabul to Kandahar... d?j? vu all over again!