News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lord Ashcrofts entire V.C. collection to go on display

This news was released at midnight last night (BST).

Lord Ashcroft?s Victoria Cross collection - the largest in the world - is to go on public display following his ?5 million donation to the Imperial War Museum

The world?s largest collection of Victoria Crosses (VCs), belonging to the Michael A Ashcroft Trust, is to be displayed publicly for the first time in a new gallery at Imperial War Museum London

The 152 medals, which range from the Crimean to the Falklands wars, will be displayed alongside the 50 VCs and 29 George Crosses (GCs) already held by the Museum.

The medals to go on show in the new gallery are the result of a collection of VCs first started 22 years ago by Lord Ashcroft, the Tory peer, international businessman and philanthropist. The new display, in what will be called the Lord Ashcroft Gallery, is due to open in the autumn of 2010.

It is estimated the new gallery will cost ?5 million and the project has been made possible by a donation from Lord Ashcroft. The collection of V.C.s is also worth several millions of pounds.

Among the medals to go on display are the VC awarded to Lieutenant (later Rear Admiral) John Bythesea, who during the Crimean War became only the second man to earn and receive the award; the medal to Lieutenant (later Captain) William Leefe Robinson, who shot down the first Zeppelin over British soil during the First World War; and the posthumous medal to Sergeant Ian McKay, of the Parachute Regiment, which is one of only two VCs awarded during the Falklands War.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hallo Gents,

Items will be on display in what will be called the Lord Ashcroft Gallery, it is due to open in the autumn of 2010.

So Ed start saving up the pennies for the trip. :P

Kevin in Deva :lol:

Is this the temporary exhibit or something even better?? :jumping:

I fear your answer, given the costs of plane tickets these days. :speechless1:

My understanding is that many of the VC's displayed at the various IWM sites throughout the country (Not just London) and other museums which also hold VC's are copies due to the huge amount of insurance required to publicly display these original items, other decorations attached to the VC recipient are normally the actual ones.

I trust that the security arrangement will be better than the ones in the Moscow museum of patriotic war for example where someone broke in and quite easily pilferred AH's supposed unique Golden party Badge which had been on display and has since dissappeared without trace.

Guest pikemedals

HI WHEN I WENT TO SPINKS LAST AUCTION THEY HAD 50 OF ASHCROFT THE VC'S ON DISPLAY VERY NICE ! I GOT A FREE BOOK ON THE 50 VC'S FROM THEM.THEY PRICE UP AT 15 POUNDS NOT BAD. PAUL

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone that got in trouble for photographing the current collection of VC's at the IWM :rolleyes:. I only needed a few more to get them all. If you have not been there it is really something to see. Adding this collection will make it amazing.

• 5 years later...