News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South Africa Medal pics

SAMedals

• Replies 68
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Megan - be my guest - your site is comming along really well.

Let me know if there are any other images you need.

Thank you very much!!!!

Can you tell me your name (by PM if you prefer) for the acknowledgements page, please?

• 2 weeks later...

DANIE THERON MEDAL

Awarded to all ranks in the South African Commandos for exceptionally diligent and outstanding service. The medal was instituted in 1970 and until 1975 only awarded to officers. From 1975 it was up for award to all ranks. The medal became obsolete in 2003.

Cheers for now.

Norman

Morning SAMedals

I have bought 1 or 2 items from bidorbuy. It is just very important to check the sellers ratings. Must admit that i have never experienced any problems buying from the site. The service i received was prompt. Another thing is just to keep your finger on the auctions, i have lost a few good ones, not being on my toes at all times.

Have a great day!

Regards

Norman

• 1 month later...
    Guest Rick Research

Ahhhh.... I was just going to ask if you could show mounted groups! :cheers:

The designs, colors, and construction of these puts modern international "aesthetics" to shame.

:beer: Are these named on the rims so attribution is possible? Banned or still wearable?

Medals with naming on the rims and the WW2 campaign stars named on the back can stil be researched - and sometimes information for medals awarded to post WW2 recipients, would be included with the WW2 info. Medals awarded from Korea war onwards - information is available on a sliding scale, because as the medals awarded become more modern, the less information is available.

Some recipients info is available from numbered medals, but this is usually a 'hit and miss' affair.

Edited by SAMedals

• 2 weeks later...

Morning SAMedals

Refer to your post nr 40

The second group, the one with the DVR, belongs to 01455500E Col J.D. Breytenbach, DVR, SD, SM. He was a legend in the SADF, being involved with the establishment of South Africa's Special Forces and being the founding commander of the legendary 32 Bn. I hope you enjoy such a unique group, even in miniature form.

Regards

Norman

Edited by NPGilbert

Morning SAMedals

Refer to your post nr 40

The second group, the one with the DVR, belongs to 01455500E Col J.D. Breytenbach, DVR, SD, SM. He was a legend in the SADF, being involved with the establishment of South Africa's Special Forces and being the founding commander of the legendary 32 Bn. I hope you enjoy such a unique group, even in miniature form.

Regards

Norman

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the info, I was aware of who the group belonged to but never had his force number (thanks for this) I had the good fortune to 'work' with 32 Bn when I was based at Ondangwa in 1985 - not directly but did some Lunar ops with the SAAF as a spotter for them. Post #41 (minis) is a group that belonged to one of South Africa's highest decorated pilots - Brigadier J P D Blaauw- one of only 2 South Africans to receive the US Silver Star during the Korean war where he completed more than 100 missions most with the Cheetahs in a F51 Mustang. It took some serious medal hunting to find these groups - The full size groups are even rarer and cost the earth when one does find them.

Best regards,

Gary

Edited by SAMedals

Decoration for Valour in the South African Prisons Service

Custodi Pro Virtute

Instituted: 26 February 1968.

Discontinued: 1980.

Awarded: For conspicuous and exceptional gallantry, or acts in which a member of the Prison Service risked or lost his life attempting to save others.

Post-nominal letters: CPV

Decoration for Valour in the South African Prisons Service

Custodi Pro Virtute

Instituted: 26 February 1968.

Discontinued: 1980.

Awarded: For conspicuous and exceptional gallantry, or acts in which a member of the Prison Service risked or lost his life attempting to save others.

Post-nominal letters: CPV

Megen,

Surely, these are two of the most politically incorrect decorations there ever could be.

Cheers,

James

I have no interest in 'political correctness' dear heart...

And strange though it may seem, even South Africa gaols were mainly populated by convicts banged up for 'real' crimes who I am quite sure behaved just as badly behind bars as they had when free.

I have no interest in 'political correctness' dear heart...

And strange though it may seem, even South Africa gaols were mainly populated by convicts banged up for 'real' crimes who I am quite sure behaved just as badly behind bars as they had when free.

Yes, "not so dear foot", your second sentence makes that abundantly obvious.