News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Coronation & Jubilee Medals

Guest Darrell

• Replies 101
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And a silver 1911 Durbar on bow, awarded to the wife of Rao Bahadur Motilal Chunnilal, Member of Bombay Legislative Council (whose medals I have too). Unfortunately, she is simply listed as "Mrs. Chunnilal".

yoinks! That is a superb group.

A token European group in the collection.

Unfortunately, the auction split off her Crown of India (?11000), Badge of a Lady of the Bedchamber to Queen Alexandra (?8500), and Ottoman Nishani-Shefkat, 2nd class (?600). Just as well, couldn't have afforded to keep it together.

How did Lady H. get that Turkish medal?

Still seeking. The Iftikhar Madalyasi (Sanay-i Nefise Madalyasi), silver, is nicely named. Transliterates as: "Misis Hardinj fi Sanah 1308 26 Ra 1". The date translates as 10 November 1890.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

At the risk of being an :off topic: distraction, thought I might add the group to "Mr. Chunnilal", Rao Bahadur Motilal Chunnilal, Member of Bombay Legislative Council.

His Rao Bahadur was a 1906 award as District Collector, Broach, Bombay; the badge is one of the Durbar-presented retrospective awards.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 8 months later...
    Guest Darrell

Canadian - Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal

CONTEXT

The Queen’s Golden Jubilee medal commemorates the 50th anniversary of the accession of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second to the throne. This commemorative medal program is now closed. This medal is administered by the Chancellery of Honours at Rideau Hall.

ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA

Canadian Forces members must be recommended by the Chief of Defence Staff to the Government of Canada. Selection is computer generated and distributed proportionally to Regular and Reserve members (including Cadet Instructors, Canadian Rangers and Honorary Positions) by component, rank, Military Occupation and years of service. CANFORGEN 024/02 CDS 017 refers.

DESCRIPTION

A circular gold-plated bronze medal, 1.25 inches (32 mm) in diameter with a thin raised edge.

On the obverse: Queen Elizabeth II, wearing the King George IV State Diadem, facing right, circumscribed with the inscriptions "QUEEN OF CANADA" , "REINE DU CANADA".

On the reverse: the design of a stylised maple leaf with CANADA at the bottom and the years 1952 and 2002 on the left and right of the Royal Cypher and Crown.

A 0.5 inch (4 mm) gold ring, which holds the ribbon, passes through smaller ring attached to the top of the medal.

The colour of the ribbon is royal blue, with red outer stripes, double white stripe and a red central stripe. This ribbon is identical to its British counterpart and is a variation of the 1953 Coronation Medal and the 1977 Silver Jubilee Medal ribbons.

BAR(S)

There is no bar to this medal.

WEARING

The Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal shall be worn in the sequence prescribed in the Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals Directive, and in the following manner:

on the left breast, suspended from the ribbon described above, after the 125 Anniversary medal and before the RCMP Long service and Good conduct medal.

POSTNOMINALS

The use of a post-nominal is not authorized for this medal.

HISTORICAL NOTES

An estimated 46,000 medals were issued, of which approximately 9,600 were awarded to members of the Canadian Forces.

The inaugural ceremony took place at Rideau Hall on 29 June 2002. Eighteen individuals were presented the Queen’s Golden Jubilee medal by Her Excellency the Governor General. Thirteen recipients represented each of the ten provinces and three territories, four recipients represented the Navy, Army, Air Force and Reserve components of the Canadian Forces, and one recipient represented the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The medal was designed by the Government Honours Policy Sub-Committee.

Case Top:

Nice to see the Canadian version, thank you Darrell.

Rather to my surprise I was contacted by someone in the RCMP, who wanted my advice on how the medal ought to be distributed amongst police officers! I explained how the British police were handling the matter, and looked at various options given that a limited number were to be available, but never did hear what their final decision was.

• 2 years later...

Hello!

I have received the Coronation Medal 1937. On the obverse is the signature "PM". Who is this? They can help? Is on the Coronation Medal 1953 also a signature on the obverse?

Thanks!

Dirk