Boris,

Nice graphics on both this thread and the link provided for us. It would be nice to see the Austro-Hungarian ranks posted here. Perhaps you could add the graphis for the different cuff patterns of the Austrian and Hungarian regiments.

Regards,

Gordon

Hello

Nice graphic. YOu should do all Austrian ranks. You would be able to show the differenc in pattern between field officer and general insignia.

With so good information as you provide ccj I'll make it as detailed as possible. This is the pattern I thought was the most realistic for a field-officer before to see your photos (I have to study its):

As you say I will stress differences between generals and field-officers. Then I will put here the differents draws of ranks I have at present to correct and improve most ranks as possible.

About the cuffs and regiment colours Gordon, I would need photos and information cause I'm not an expert in this army (I'm always refering to WW1). The hardest would be to make the cuff model or models. Afterwars is just to place colour and regiment identification.

That was the "kappe" used for officers in forum ranks:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2008/post-4508-1216542478.pnghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2008/post-4508-1216542522.jpg

I begin working now.

Regards

Edited by Boris

Hello.

One doubt, when you are talking about three or two stripes you are refering at that of the photo I understand. Is this correct?

Hello Elmar

Yes, I thougt that in the beginings but look at this... General and officer have three stripes in the zig-zag: ?Am I wrong?

I'll try to clear this up but if I can.

Field officers

zig zag pattern

one squiggly pattern strip on each side(outside of pattern) with two straight strips on the inside

Field officers

zig zag pattern

one squiggly pattern strip on each side(outside of pattern) with two straight strips on the inside

Field officers

zig zag pattern

Generals: 3.3 cm wide gold lace collar patch, 11.2cm long and 4cm high, 2.6cm of the length being red background cloth. Silver embroidered stars. The general?s zig-zag pattern had a border that resembled rope with 3 stripes on the center.

Field Officers: 3.3 cm wide silver or gold lace on a 8.6cm long by 4cm high collar patch, which corresponded with the regimental or branch button color and the embroidered stars in the contrasting color to the lace, silver or gold. The field officer?s zig-zag pattern had a border that resembled rope with 2 stripes on the center.

Hello

With so good information as you provide ccj I'll make it as detailed as possible. This is the pattern I thought was the most realistic for a field-officer before to see your photos (I have to study its):

As you say I will stress differences between generals and field-officers. Then I will put here the differents draws of ranks I have at present to correct and improve most ranks as possible.

About the cuffs and regiment colours Gordon, I would need photos and information cause I'm not an expert in this army (I'm always refering to WW1). The hardest would be to make the cuff model or models. Afterwars is just to place colour and regiment identification.

That was the "kappe" used for officers in forum ranks:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2008/post-4508-1216542478.pnghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2008/post-4508-1216542522.jpg

I begin working now.

Regards

Your colonel tab loks great and the colors are good. If the lace is silver the stars are gold and vice versa.

I'm no artist but I added the rope in blue and the stripes in green so you can see the detail. The major's tab is much more wear so you may not see all the detail. This generals tab I marked up have very good detail and have beeter detail.

FML

Mjr iG

Mjr Infantry

... but paying attention to the "Borte", the last one looks to me a Generalmajor's field tunic...

E.L.

All right CCJ, I think I'm understand at last. :)

I will pay attention Elmar.

Thanks

Edited by Boris

... but paying attention to the "Borte", the last one looks to me a Generalmajor's field tunic...

E.L.

Well darn! Could it be a general and not a major? I only noticed two of the stripes and it doesn't have the 2.6cm length of cloth.

I'm going up stairs right now to look :o

Edited by ccj

Well darn! Could it be a general and not a major? I only noticed two of the stripes and it doesn't have the 2.6cm length of cloth.

I'm going up stairs right now to look :o

Okay, it does have three stripes. In "The Emperor's Coat" the generals tunic's has three and the field officer's have two. I've been taught to look for this trait. Now I have a major that have three stripes but not the 2.6cm length of generals scarlet/red cloth at the rear. Looking at period photos all generals have the 2.6cm section of cloth.

My world is upside down. :wacky:

Okay, it does have three stripes. In "The Emperor's Coat" the generals tunic's has three and the field officer's have two. I've been taught to look for this trait. Now I have a major that have three stripes but not the 2.6cm length of generals scarlet/red cloth at the rear. Looking at period photos all generals have the 2.6cm section of cloth.

My world is upside down. :wacky:

An interesting observation indeed. There are two possibilities, and in both cases the tailor wasn't paying attention to regulations...

1) a Generalmajor with too a short red cloth collar patch (correct Generalsborte, wrong collar patch);

2) a Major where the Generalsborte was used (wrong Borte, correct collar patch).

Is there any label sewn inside the inner pocket? From that, one could have an idea about the original owner's rank...

Best wishes,

Enzo

Hello

It is very extrange, because a mayor can't walk around with a generals insignia (it would be a offence) or a general with a non-correct collar pacht (I thing this is the name of the red felt if i understood Elmar). A tailor at this social cathegory have to know the regulations. There is other posibility, that somebody sewed, later on, the pieces to the uniform... one of major or similar and the Generalsborte.

Just it could be this way, is only possible.

2) a Major where the Generalsborte was used (wrong Borte, correct collar patch).

Enzo

I think option 2 is most likely. Everyone would notice the wrong backing but not many would notice the wrong borte. I'm looking at as many period photos as I can find hoping to find an example of the wrong borte on a tunic.

Back to the Faehnrich.

This nice photo was found on ebay...

Look at this general's borte.

The Austro-Hungarian Army have a peculiarity, looking at the photos, a old Kaporal have more smartness than a general in others (in special the spanish one). :)

Charles,

Do you know who the General in the photo is?

Regards,

Ian

Hello

Then, it would be a Feldmarchalleutnant with the measures you gave:

Generalmajor:

Is it right?

Edited by Boris

Hello

Then, it would be a Feldmarchalleutnant with the measures you gave:

Generalmajor:

Is it right?

Looks good but I think you need a little bit more background color showing above the horizontal part of the borte