News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix de Guerre 1914-1917

Jim P

CdG with palme and silver star.

I got this entire set and another medal on a frame for $130.00. I don't think I would pay $100.00 for a normal CdG if I can find this for $130.00 :speechless:

CdG medals of various years and makes. I don't know a WW1 issue from a post war. I know know issue items from private purchase but I know when I like one and the price is fair to me... :cheeky:

CdG medals of various years and makes. I don't know a WW1 issue from a post war. I know know issue items from private purchase but I know when I like one and the price is fair to me... :cheeky:

Wow, bad photos! sorry... :rolleyes:

Good evening ccj

Normally, only the full size groups are worn on uniform.

But we know that there were many attempts to this rule when we read the reminders, routine letters and memos calling back to comply with it after the war. And you must know that not complying with the dress rules is a sort of sport in the French Army.

Then this group is prepared to be worn on uniform... in spite of the rule, and because it is more elegant...

An other assumption is that it is a group of a woman (a nurse? an ambulance driver?)... I do not know. I found it in Belgium...

Regards

Bison

Beautiful set!

Here is another, from a colonel, officer commanding an Infantry Regiment:

Bison, I love that one. I'm big on French uniforms and medals since I was a child. That's a beautiful CdG on that tunic.

We need to start a thread on French tunics and caps. I enjoy looking and learning...

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...

So many old threads on these I thought I would just add to this one instead of starting another new thread discussing the same old topic.

Here are my WWI Croix De Guerre; from left to right: 1st two are 1914-1915; 1916; 1917 w/ AISNE pin; last three are all 1914-1918 but are all slightly different on the date styles.

Not sure what the AISNE pin is, perhaps a unit badge or commemorative item of the Aisne campaign. Unofficially worn on the cross of course, but I really liked the looks of it!

Enjoy! :cheers:

Tim

Tim

This is a remarquable reunion of a variety of Croix de Guerre. Congratulations.

Since the 1914-1917 type was the original title of this series of posts, here is a "show-off" cross in silver bearing those dates (sorry about the reflexion of light which makes the dates hard to see).

It is quite genuine and the ribbon suggests it was worn as it is. The palms are also silver....

The true owner of this cross is unknown. The style and combination of stars/palms COULD have been a fly-boy's ....

One of my favourite.

Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Since the 1914-1917 type was the original title of this series of posts, here is a "show-off" cross in silver bearing those dates (sorry about the reflexion of light which makes the dates hard to see).

It is quite genuine and the ribbon suggests it was worn as it is. The palms are also silver....

Regards

Veteran

Lovely cross indeed Veteran. :jumping:

Jan

Hello Veteran!

Very nice and always a treat to see those crosses with the extra palms/stars and especially if the history is known. I am on the lookout for another 1917 that has a little more to it, but couldn't resist this one with the AISNE pin.

Wasn't sure what thread would be best, but I hated to go all the way back to 2005! Always nice to see other's collections, thanks!

Tim

Well, now that the thread has had its cherry popped! :speechless1:

Are there more differences between the dates on these? Here are the three 1914-18 CdG and you can see how the dies are different. I would say the one on the right is probably a late manufacture as the stamping is weaker and overall the cross quality is not as clean as the other two.

Tim