News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An overview of my Brits

• Replies 58
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity Charles Niblocks MIC, which shows he too was an RGA Territorial and renumbered in 1917 also. At sometime he was transfrred to the Royal Engineers, but MIC's are terrible for not getting units in the correct order so would view this listing with caution;-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Isn't this Friedrichsen:

Friedrichsen

/Mike

Thanks for all of you for your help. I have a question which will make me sound like a terrible cheapskate (which I am, but I'd prefer people didn't know): I'm not a member of Ancestry and haven't used their services or the Archive site. I got the impression from one of the original posts that there might be a way for me to look at the cards without paying the GBP 3.50. These links open to the Nat'l Archives site (and the 3.50), but I don't see a sublink to let me open them. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Hugh

Hugh,

The links we've provided to the National Archive show what was transcribed from the original cards for the NA MIC website and the original MIC's are now in the hands of the Western Front Association. The NA still holds the microfiche copies of the cards and it's those which require a fee.

The MIC's are only the beginning, as thats all they were intended to be 'index cards'. Both the originals and microfiched copies contain further information which direct you to the relevent 'Medal Roll Book' and 'Silver War Badge Rolls'. Neither of these two sources are available online and require personal viewing or a researcher to obtain copies.

Mike,

Thanks for finding Friedrichsen's MIC, I got the spelling wrong. It is interesting to note the he's actually gained his War Medals with the 1st City of London Regt(Royal Fusiliers) and not the 16th County of London Regt, with whom he gets the TEM. He is also renumbered in 1917.

Hugh,

The links we've provided to the National Archive show what was transcribed from the original cards for the NA MIC website and the original MIC's are now in the hands of the Western Front Association. The NA still holds the microfiche copies of the cards and it's those which require a fee.

The MIC's are only the beginning, as thats all they were intended to be 'index cards'. Both the originals and microfiched copies contain further information which direct you to the relevent 'Medal Roll Book' and 'Silver War Badge Rolls'. Neither of these two sources are available online and require personal viewing or a researcher to obtain copies.

Mike,

Thanks for finding Friedrichsen's MIC, I got the spelling wrong. It is interesting to note the he's actually gained his War Medals with the 1st City of London Regt(Royal Fusiliers) and not the 16th County of London Regt, with whom he gets the TEM. He is also renumbered in 1917.

Thanks for the clarification, Graham. Now I get it.

Ed - thanks for the ribbon offer. I've already gotten the ribbons from the supply you provided to John Royston. I created the ones in the picture earlier from a rather muddy verbal description (in Dorling?) without ever having seen a real one. Now you see one of the reasons I have to open up this frame.

Hugh

The Medal Index Card link to 194 Driver James Niblock, who appears to a Territorial hence the second six figure number issued in 1917. His brother(?) Charles may have also served in the same battery, as there are only two Niblocks to be found;-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Is the WR prefix usdual with the RE? Reminds me a bit of the Aussies.

Hugh

4531 Sepoy Bhanwar Singh was with the 13th Rajputs (the 15th were Sikhs), and his entitlement is confirmed on the MIC

Thanks for this. I can't look now since it's in the frame, but I attribute the error to aging eyes / ignorance.

Hugh

With detials on naming/date I can give at least a one-liner. The full 1-2 (3?) page recommendation requires Delhi.

With a ticket ....???

Here's all I have on them until I open the case. I would normally have entered any naming data into the data base, so I wonder if it may not be on the medals? (I know you'll recognize both of the sellers. Can't remember, are they brothers, cousins?)

GREAT BRITAIN - Indian Title Badge, 2rd Class (Rai Bahadur),

Rakesh Jain, Delhi, 10/02,

GREAT BRITAIN - Indian Title Badge, 3rd Class (Khan Sahib), EF,

Curio Centre, Delhi, 1988

Oh. They came from Goga and the other from Rakesh; merely "brothers in crime". Way back when these (and everything else!) cost nothing. You really REALLY don't want to know!

As a Rai Bahadur and a Khan Sahib, they are, of course completely unrelated, given the British racial oops religious construction of India.

See: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2854 or, better, http://sagongs.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=265& or, ever better, a JOMSA article (and, later book) I'm working on.

When you pop them . . . .

Framing is such a nuisance?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Oh. They came from Goga and the other from Rakesh; merely "brothers in crime". Way back when these (and everything else!) cost nothing. You really REALLY don't want to know!

As a Rai Bahadur and a Khan Sahib, they are, of course completely unrelated, given the British racial oops religious construction of India.

See: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2854 or, better, http://sagongs.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=265& or, ever better, a JOMSA article (and, later book) I'm working on.

When you pop them . . . .

Framing is such a nuisance?

I remember the GMIC thread, but the SAGongs was before I joined. I (we) look forward to the JOMSA article.

When I pop them...you bet.

Hugh

I've been off site for afew days, I'll start checking out "Ancestry" today, wife permitting.

Do you have much in the way of original documentation, photographs etc to the holders of these groups / singles?

Thanks so much, that's very kind. Unfortunately, no docs of any kind.

Best,

Hugh

MIC re:

GREAT BRITAIN - Military Medal (MM), G-V, named to (block) 10439 Cpl F Brown, A 73/Bde RFA, (in group w/ WW I (trio) mounted Ef w/ ribbon bar

1914-15 Star, named (block) to 10437 Gnbr F Brown, R.F.A., EF

War Medal 1914-18, named to 10439 Cpl F. Brown, R. A., almost mint

Victory Medal, named to 10439 Cpl F. Brown, R. A.

There's nothing written on the reverse of the card, so front only shown

And just found his Service Record - 19 pages, which actually boil down to 15 after you discount the printed "New Soldiers Record" card, written "F. Brown etc" card & a duplicate of two of the pages.

Name: Frank Brown

Birth Year: abt 1892

Birth Parish: Lewisham

Birth County: Kent

Regiment Name: General Service

Regiment Number: 10439

Document Year: 1914

Number of Images: 19

Edited by leigh kitchen

And just found his Service Record - 19 pages, which actually boil down to 15 after you discount the printed "New Soldiers Record" card, written "F. Brown etc" card & a duplicate of two of the pages.

Name: Frank Brown

Birth Year: abt 1892

Birth Parish: Lewisham

Birth County: Kent

Regiment Name: General Service

Regiment Number: 10439

Document Year: 1914

Number of Images: 19

Many thanks, Leigh. You're getting me hooked on this!

Hugh