News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Erasmus Medallion pictures inside.. need more info

coin.jpg

coin1.jpg

Another medal my dad gave me.. I researched these all and it sounds like my grandpa went through hell.. very tough times for him, it was interesting to talk to him while he was alive. He passed away 2 years ago. I was looking for the value of the first one.. as much as I hate to get rid of it, I don't think he would really argue the fact that I would like to use it for my schooling to become a nurse. I made a promise to my grandma that I would infact become one, and even while she laid there dying she had a big old smile that lit the room.

gramps_stuff2.jpg

Hi lowkey,

Maybe someone else can help with the value of the medallion

Here is info on who he was

Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erasmus

Info on the medallion:

measurements: 50.4 mm

weight: 48.568 g

person: Erasmus of Rotterdam

obverse type: Head of Erasmus, l.

obverse legend: E/RAS/MVS/RO/TE/RO/DA/MVS/ 14/69/19/69

reverse type: Drawing

reverse legend: NON/EST/CONSTANTIA/SEMPER/ EADEM/LOQVI,/SED/SEMPER/ EODEM/PERTENDERE

The dates on the obverse would indicate a commemorative medallion 500 year aniversary?

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

Thanks, I did find some other things from a car board I posted to. I found very limited info on the web about it.

I found this web page here http://www.cdnheroes.com/tribute/bkilf11.htm

the back translates as "Constancy is not always to say the same thing, but always to persist in the same thing" I know 500 were given out. That's about all I know. Any other feedback would be much appreciated :)

Info on the medallion:

reverse type: Drawing

reverse legend: NON/EST/CONSTANTIA/SEMPER/ EADEM/LOQVI,/SED/SEMPER/ EODEM/PERTENDERE

The "drawing" on the reverse is of a hand holding a pen.

More than that....dunno kimosabi.

Les

Thanks, I did find some other things from a car board I posted to. I found very limited info on the web about it.

I found this web page here http://www.cdnheroes.com/tribute/bkilf11.htm

the back translates as "Constancy is not always to say the same thing, but always to persist in the same thing" I know 500 were given out. That's about all I know. Any other feedback would be much appreciated :)

The American Numismatic Society have it listed in there database, its the bottom one on this page:

http://numismatics.org/collection/accnum/l...available=false

Might be worth contacting them?

Regards Eddie

Hello gents,

Erasmus is one of the greater figures in Dutch history which all children here have to hear about at schools.

I have no idea about the medalcoin.

Erasmus was a philisopher and writer, he was probably born in Rotterdam, they think in 1469. He is not listed in birth documents of those days.

He could also have been born in 1466 or 1467, and maybe even in Gouda, he was a ''bastard'' as his father was a priest and his mother the housekeeper, the mother went to Rotterdam for a while, Erasmus lived there for a few years. A historian of that time named him as born in Gouda(where he at least was ''created'') but Erasmus later wrote himself that he came from Rotterdam(so that is what we asume nowadays as his mother probably left to cover up her pregnancy, we don't know if he knew exactly where he was from as he was a child and probably wouldn't remember those days, but he did spent his early years in Rotterdam makin it logic to think that). They named a lot of buildings and institutions after him.

Quite a lot of info, nothing about the medal, but now you know why it is says Rotterdam and it explains something about the year 1969.

I don't know the value, but I looks nice.

kind regards,

Roeland

Edited by Roeland

• 4 years later...
    • 10 months later...

My Father was presented with one of these medallions, the accompanying letter reads: The Ministryof Foreign Affairs is honoured to present a small memento in the form of an Erasmus Medallion to the Allied War Vetrans who are visiting the Netherlands in 1984 to commemorate the allied invasion of Europe and fighting in the Netherlands forty year ago.

The Latin text on the reverse translates as:

"Constancy is not always to say the same thing, but always to persist in the same thing".

Hope this helps.

Edited by metalman

metalman and bubbatinamarion, thank you for your posts regarding this medal awarded to your relatives.

It looks like no one still has an idea about the monetary value of these medals; although, I'm sure they have great sentimental value for your families.

Considering the lack of general information, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the monetary value is probably limited. Value is, of course, determined by supply and demand. While the supply appears relatively low - one of the links above states that 500 were made - I suspect so is the demand outside of some very specialized collectors. Therefore, even if you tried selling them on eBay, you would be hard pressed to get anything significant.

Again, my opinion is based solely on generalities of the collector's market and not on specific information regarding this medal.

Hopefully, these latest posts will attract some interest among some of our experts.