News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Navy Shoulder Patch help?

Brian R

Can anyone help identify the shoulder patch in this picture? This portrait was taken in a London studio during the war - he is my grandfather's first cousin.

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by Brian R

Can anyone help identify the shoulder patch in this picture? This portrait was taken in a London studio during the war - he is my grandfather's first cousin.

Thanks,

Brian

It's an amphibious patch. Such patches were seldom worn in the Navy, but I guess it's a carryover from the Army tradition. There must be sites which would help you identify the specific formation it represents. (but I don't know them) I'd Google US Army patches WW II.

Hugh

Hugh

Great information, guys. Thanks.

Based on his campaign ribbons and the fact that the studio shot is from London, he may have been some serious action landing troops on the European invasion beaches.

Coooool :jumping:

That gives him a battle star, most likely an invasion 'arrowhead' to go on his EAME

You sure on the LCD designation?

I don't find that type listed, the closest alphabetically is LSD (Landing Ship - Dock) which is a much

larger vessel than a LCI (Landing Craft - Infantry)

The third wave would have been no less ugly than the first two, in fact probably uglier due to the submerged

vehicles (jeeps to DD tanks), burning landing craft, and accurate fire . . .

Dave - my fault. It was an LSD.

Coooool :jumping:

That gives him a battle star, most likely an invasion 'arrowhead' to go on his EAME

You sure on the LCD designation?

I don't find that type listed, the closest alphabetically is LSD (Landing Ship - Dock) which is a much

larger vessel than a LCI (Landing Craft - Infantry)

The third wave would have been no less ugly than the first two, in fact probably uglier due to the submerged

vehicles (jeeps to DD tanks), burning landing craft, and accurate fire . . .