News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 and WW2 Commonwealth Groupings

Guest Darrell

2701 A/L/Dfr Ghulam Rasul Khan 9th Horse (Khan only appears on the Star)

He is a Duffadar on all the other medals. The I.M.S.M. is almost certainly for Cambrai.

I bought this little gem for 80 pounds about 22 years ago.

One more time with feeling. I would think he is probably entitled to the Bar.

I don't even want to think what this would sell for today. :cheers:

Although I purchased this medal as 'erased', it wasn't erased enough as to be unable to determine who the original recipient was. The starting point was the remains of the letter C at the end of the erasure: that's either Lab C (Labour Corps), MGC (Machine Gun Corps), or RAMC.

There were four Special Reserve LS&GCs to the Labour Corps, just one to the MGC, and four to the RAMC - one of which was a EVII issue. Out of the eight possibilities, the surviving impressment traces pointed out to one man. This detective work - albeit basic - was done by a previous custodian of the medal.

I have since confirmed that the previous work carried out is correct, as I have discovered faint traces of other letters (not visible to the naked eye) that the initial scrutiny missed.

The recipient was also entitled to the 1914 Star*, BWM & Victory Medal. The man in question was Sgt. Stanley Maney of the 20th Field Ambulance, the first RAMC recipient of the three GV issues to the corps, who was awarded the medal under Army Order No.7 in January 1914.

The other medals are representative of his entitlement and have been added for illustrative purposes.

*August-November clasp

It's late and my head hurts, but Asquith's group is making my head hurt more than is usual for this late hour. Surely an Assistant Surgeon would be of officer rank? The re-suspended long gong has totally messed me up. Nurse! :speechless:

No, Assistant Surgeons were Warrant Officers, which is why after 1930 they were no longer listed in the Indian Army List. Assistant Surgeons were the European members. Indians were Sub-Assistant Surgeons.

If you were a "real" doctor you were commissioned in to the Indian Medical Service. Both Indians and Europeans held commissions in the I.M.S.

As I said the only reason I can see for the replaced suspender is symmetry with his other medals. I had one to Asst. Sgn. A.R. Bell (who entered the same year as Asquith), and it was a non-swivel scroll that it would have taken brute force to break.

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Oops meant to add info on the above 2 recipients but got taken away with something else and now the edit button has disappeared.

Major A C Keane - Royal Army Service Corps

Albert Charles Keane born on 3 December 1904. He served in the ranks for 20 years and 60 days. Both the GSM & LSGC are named to him as a Sergeant. He recieved the Coronation Medal as a Corporal.

WO1 (Mechanist Sgt-Major) 18 June 1940

Lieut (Mech Offr) RASC 1946

Capt (Mech Offr) 1948

Regular Commission 1 January 1949

Transferred to REME as Capt (EMAE) 1951

Major (EMAE) 1954

Retired 3 December 1959

He was Inspector of Mechanical Transport with the RASC Inspectorate from 23 October 1950 and from 1954 until his retirement he was EMAE at HQ Eastern Command UK.

He died in 1977.

Lt Col W A P Court, Royal Engineers

William Anthony Philip Court BA psc born on 13 May 1912 in Leceister. Educated at Kimbolton School and Selwyn College Cambridge.

Commissioned from the TA into the RE in 1935 (University Candidate)

Lieut 1936

A/Capt 1939

War Substantive Captain and promoted Temporary Major 6 May 1941

A/Major 1941

A/Lt Col 1941-42

Major 1946

A/Lt Col 1952-54

Lt Col 1954

Retired 11 August 1959

Served with the Egyptian Army 1938-1941.

MID for Middle East in London Gazette 30 December 1941.

Instructor OCTU 1944-45.

War Office 1945-46.

DAQMG Canal North District, Egypt 1947-48.

DAQMG War Office 1950-52.

CRE Cyrenaica 1956.

Commander RE Port Said during the Suez Crises.

CRE BAOR until retirement.

Scott,

They appear to be on nice original ribbons too. A nice pair.

Have you downloaded his medal index card? That might give additional information on him and then again, it might not.

Tony

Oh, we care! Just that some of us are too busy drooling over the groups to actually type any comments! Wonderful stuff, especially the States Forces groups.

And I still remember how excited Michael johnson and I were the first time we came across a named WWII medal. To a Dogra who served in Malaysia in '45-46, i think. (Michael? help?)

I'm still working on the technical issue of posting photos and still hoping to share some of the IA badges. :( I'll let you know!

Peter Monahan

and here is a passing out parade in 1954 just when he moved from England to NZ. thats him with the medals on the left...

The Senoir officer was Group Captain Dix...they called him Shorty...wonder why... :)

and a picture of him when he was in the Leicester regiments Home Guard ( before he joined the RAF regiment and then to aircrew.

Edited by notned

I got this trio in today. Named to 62716 PTE E. Gilchrist R.A.M.C They are mounted on a bar,but there isnt a pin on the reverse,is this common? i LOVE the blue toning on the BWM! my photo skills rank right up there with my typing and spelling skills,so i hope the toning shows thru in the pics. i was able to get a copy of his MIC also

I got this trio in today. Named to 62716 PTE E. Gilchrist R.A.M.C They are mounted on a bar,but there isnt a pin on the reverse,is this common? i LOVE the blue toning on the BWM! my photo skills rank right up there with my typing and spelling skills,so i hope the toning shows thru in the pics. i was able to get a copy of his MIC also

A nice trio Scott and I see your avatar has changed slightly too ;)

I have 2 mounted (not court mounted) trios whereby the the pin is present but have seen attachments for ribbon bars without a pin. They had brass rings similar to a keyring to hold it in place and the other had something like small rosettes that slotted over 2 short pins at each end of the bar.

Tony

A nice trio Scott and I see your avatar has changed slightly too ;)

I have 2 mounted (not court mounted) trios whereby the the pin is present but have seen attachments for ribbon bars without a pin. They had brass rings similar to a keyring to hold it in place and the other had something like small rosettes that slotted over 2 short pins at each end of the bar.

Tony

would love to see your trio's

can you tell the bug has bitten me tony? :cheers:

Edited by Scott Powell

I've not got many Scott but if you go back to page 2 you'll see the bulk of my WWI British medals.

I have some back in England that I'll be picking up next time I'm there, and a few odd ones to my name which I've just started to collect. I know Chris Boonzaier's groups will make you, me and anyone else drool.

Tony