News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 and WW2 Commonwealth Groupings

Guest Darrell

Hello Tony,

The minature group is mounted by spink and son...see pics

the IGS is silver and swivels at the mounting...

the seller wants $100NZD for them...!

the Mounted 6 place bar...only the 1939-45 star, the Burma Star and the war medal are engraved...

see pic... and the MID leaf...is apparently a WW1 leaf....

Oh! and i will post a pic for the gents to see...don't worry! :)

Cheers

Paul

Edited by notned

Paul,

I'm often told that I'm way out of touch with prices, in fact I can make a certain Dave B split his sides with laughter when talking values. If you like the minis and they don't crop up too often then there's no point inwaiting for a bargain, go for them.

Tony (eagerly waiting for framed AG pics)

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Well the Mons Bar came today. Very nice if I do say so. Named to an 17775 A.G. CHOWINGS.

1. Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

An Addendum to my earlier posts in this topic...

Was talking to my elderly Grandfather today...

He was talking about his entitlement to the france and Germany clasp to his Atlantic star...

he told me he really only applied for the clasp much much later after the war...like the 1990's!!!

he had to proove details like the missions flown and the area and all the details of all his operational flights...to show them that he was entitled to the clasp to his Atlantic star.

They told him, it would take 6 months to check it...( it took 3 months) but in hindsight..they must have had to wade thru 50 odd years of records to ascertain that he had done the tours etc.... before awarding him the clasp.

Now that makes sense why his minature medal bar did not have the clsap for years and years...

Pic enclosed...

But he had a funny ( well perhaps it was at the time) anecdote..about the awarding system....

he knew of chaps that had gotten shot down on their first operational flight...and they apparently were not entitled to any medals at all! ....how bizarre is that! ...technically they were in an operational flight with facing the enemy and all (well they had to be...to be shot down,. woudnt one think....?) but according to the awarding criteria....it was not sufficient to be awarded any medals....Crazy! its the least one would expect from a grateful country...for the sacrifices one has given....

But...thats war...

Interesting doncha think...?

Regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

And another unnamed grouping

As suggested by Darrell, to show them here , ( more appropriate)

This set came with a set of minatures..so i know they were all together as a set...

And another set...the pair came with a NZ medical corps badge...

Its a nice badge with the lettering at bottom a separate pressed on piece of metal a different colour too!

Guest Darrell

Well another great e-bay find. Not often that you find these named South African Groupings for sale (at least I don't see them anyway).

I decided to jump on this guy because of the possibilities of doing some research to see what I can find out about him.

Anyone have any information they can spill about the numbers or name of this individual are welsome to comment. Thanks.

1. Obverse (my scan):

Edited by Darrell