News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Indian Durbar Medals

Ed_Haynes

"Durbar" = An important word. A ceremonial gathering of subordinate (or so the conever believed them to be) individuals who, by their very presence and implicit permission to engage in the ceremonies involved, had proffered their allegiance to the legitimacy of the individuals who had convened the gathering.

Sorry, I don't get this..? "Or so the convener believed them to be".

Are you saying there are Durbar medals where the Durbar is convened not by the monarch?

Sorry, I don't get this..? "Or so the convener believed them to be".

Are you saying there are Durbar medals where the Durbar is convened not by the monarch?

No, it does not mean that at all.

The words in parenthesis are just Ed having his usual "anti-British", "anti-Imperialist" anti "monachist" dig. Very common in many of his posts.

2LT R.A. SWINTON, MC, RFA

Hi All,

The reason I am a member of this forum is too learn from its more knowledgable and senior members. Up too a few hours ago, I was not really sure what the word "DURBAR" meant and found the posts both highly interesting and informative. Unfortunately these posts were excellent to a specific point and then it appears as if the initial purpose of the topic became confused. We are all entitled to our opinions on matters, whether controversial and mundane, but I request that we focus on the gist of this excellent posting and get it back on track. There are comments that I would also like to be privy too and I feel that using the PM method is not right and detracts from the learning and participative spirit of this forum.

This a group in my collection and I hope that further post discussions will again be both enlightening and informative.

Ed, please come back and and post the promised groups!

Regards,

Will

Nice Group Will :)

Is that officer's service with the colours in your possesion. Was he sent straight out to India when commissioned? Is the trio for service in France or was he out fighting on the Turkish front..? Nice. [i did look up in the London Gazette but the search seems notoriously poor and I couldn't find him with a quick scan ;)

I've PM'ed you at your request Ed.

ttfn

Matt

Nice Group Will :)

Is that officer's service with the colours in your possesion. Was he sent straight out to India when commissioned? Is the trio for service in France or was he out fighting on the Turkish front..? Nice. [i did look up in the London Gazette but the search seems notoriously poor and I couldn't find him with a quick scan ;)

I've PM'ed you at your request Ed.

ttfn

Matt

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately I have not had time to have this group properly researched. I will ask WIFE back home in South Africa to dig out what we have and will send it to you. I am posting a badge/medallion that was also given to him by the town of Norfolk for returned POW's. This probably indicates service in France. I sincerely hope we can get this thread back on track as there is so much to be gleaned from it.

P.S. Wife is of Pakistani origin but grew up in Iraq.

Regards,

Will

No, it is actually saying something of historical importance. But since I have been driven from this thread (too) by personal attacks, drop me a PM and I'll expand.

Actually nothing of historical importance at all, simply the usual narrow and outdated Americanised opinion, followed by the usual cry-baby "toys out of the pram" stuff when anyone points it out.

Hi All,

The reason I am a member of this forum is too learn from its more knowledgable and senior members. Up too a few hours ago, I was not really sure what the word "DURBAR" meant and found the posts both highly interesting and informative. Unfortunately these posts were excellent to a specific point and then it appears as if the initial purpose of the topic became confused. We are all entitled to our opinions on matters, whether controversial and mundane, but I request that we focus on the gist of this excellent posting and get it back on track. There are comments that I would also like to be privy too and I feel that using the PM method is not right and detracts from the learning and participative spirit of this forum.

This a group in my collection and I hope that further post discussions will again be both enlightening and informative.

Will,

I certainly hear what you are saying. However, members need to be aware that the explanations and postings being given here are frequently highly biased versions of a particular political point of view. Just because they may come from "senior members" does not mean they are more or less valid than anybody else.

The definition of "Durbar" is a supreme example. The explanation given has an element of truth to it but is far from complete. The word actually means and the functions served equates to something similar to our "court" or "levee". A "durbar" is an important ceremonial held in the audience hall of a ruler to hear petitions and accounts, make investitures or official appointments, the receipt or giving of presents, official letters, etc. The British innovation was to enlarge the scale and take it out doors to a very much wider audience.

Cheers,

James

No, it is actually saying something of historical importance. But since I have been driven from this thread (too) by personal attacks, drop me a PM and I'll expand.

Ed, nobody's driving you away from this thread, as usual you provide a great amount of very interesting & useful information, you just can't resist straying a little & expressing views in a manner that rankles with some. They (we) get upset, you get upset, & we're distracted from the thread topic. I suspect that very few of us come here to express or listen to "political" views & opinions, we do come hear to learn from people like you, James & others.

I can only suggest, please, that this & similar threads are kept free from the expression of such views & that they be debated by PM or a seperate thread be opened, perhaps in The Lounge, for to-ing & fro-ing over opinion of the evils of empire etc as long as they don't fall outside the bounds of propriety or foul of GMIC rules.

This is a very interesting & useful thread, let's keep it alive & on topic please.

Reluctant to post things unknown to many here without any historical background, but fully aware that doing so will open me up to attack from those whose understanding of history is restricted to "Imperial History", let me just show an item without context. Sorry.

For the 1921-22 visit of the Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII). Estimated 84 medals awarded. With a short ("relic" condition) snip of ribbon, but the ribbon is rarer than the medal.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Reluctant to post things unknown to many here without any historical background, but fully aware that doing so will open me up to attack from those whose understanding of history is restricted to "Imperial History", let me just show an item without context. Sorry.

Absolutely typical.

Nobody will "attack" you if you are able to set asside your prejudices and bring yourself to give a balanced view of both sides of an issue. That is what most good academics and teachers normally aim to do. At least that is what I experienced when I studied in, amongst other places, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, Canada and the UK long after the empire was dead and buried.