News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bringing History to life...

Alex K

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Hi, not posted for a while so I thought that since the recent anniversary of the "Dambusters raid on the Mohne, Sorpe and Eder dams took place a short while ago, (16/17 May 1943) I've colourised two of the main men involved.

Sir Arthur "Bomber" Harris who eventually agreed to the raid, and Guy Gibson who undertook it

regards

Alex K

ps I'm still looking for a good image of Barnes Wallis who invented the thing!

Edited by Alex K

Hi Mervyn, thanks for the compliments, I've said this before, but to me it is a pastime but with a passion to ensure total accuracy.

We all look at old B/W images and have a quick glance without actually looking at the real contents of the image. With a sympathetic colourised image, it should hopefully "draw" your eyes into, and spend a bit more time examining it. As an example one I posted earlier was of Fleiger Paul Heim, I attach a closer image, the medals bar took ages to get right, I have to because I know from experience that posting something like this other members will say, "Great" but you got this or that wrong, I have to tread carefully with all the experts on the forum, hope I got this right :unsure:

regards

Alex

• 1 month later...

I all thanks for the compliments and information Uwe, I can now put a name to the face.

regards

Alex

Edit, given the information by Uwe, I've done a bit of digging around and can show a "Before and after" if you know what I mean,

regards

Alex

Edited by Alex K

Hi, one unusual one, General Anton Dostler just prior to his execution. This image is freely available but the original is from NARA, most images are heavily marked with scratches, dust spots and other blemishes, I first "Cleaned" the image then colourised it. Possibly an unusual subject felt worthy of doing.

regards

Alex K

Technical note, all available images seem to indicate that it was taken at night, (Dark background) it was not, it was taken in daylight but with flash photography, the subject is illuminated but the background will appear dark particularly if some distance behind the subject, I've tried to reflect this. I am fortunate to have a high resolution of the image which enabled me to get in close and still retain a good degree of detail. The image posted is low resolution.

regards

Alex K

Edited by Alex K

• 2 months later...

Been fairly quiet lately! so I thought I'd trawl through my archives for something else to post.

A man many may have heard of but maybe not have seen a genuine photo, Klaus Barbie, the "Butcher of Lyons", There are a number of images of him, particularly sitting in a group of Wehrmacht officers and NCO's, Barbie is wearing an NCO's uniform. Barbie was never in the Wehrmacht. The man I believe is mis-identified as Barbie, although similar in appearance, may well have had to live with the stigma of being called Barbie, just for interest.

I am happy to stand corrected

Regards

Alex K

Anyone recognise the strange sleeve eagle he appears to be wearing?

Another small project I did for member Paul C (Paul Cheperko)on a project he is working on, with his permission I've posted. The colourised images were in fact very small, however, they have come out not too badly, (Well I think anyway!)

regards

Alex K

Hi Paul, hope your project goes well.

Time for another sort out, a few boys in black!!

Top row

Werner Lorenz, Phillip Bouhler, Heinz Heinrich Lammers,

Bottom row

Albert Forster, Emil Maurice, Ernst Ritter