News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Next Malaysia

Hugh

quote name='Lukasz Gaszewski' date='Aug 9 2008, 22:24 ' post='284526']

I am also not sure about the Order of the Crown of Terengganu. Either it is a fake ribbon (this ribbon is used by the Order of Kinabalu of Sabah - the 1970 type), or they adopted a new one recently (this happens ocassionally with Malaysian orders). The badge is certainly that of the Order of the Crown.

I was also a little puzzled by this, unless the change is very recent.

[

As of 2005 the DPMT insignia consisted of a breast star (the one shown by Hugh) and a badge in the same shape and design as presentted here, but worn from a neck ribbon. The colours of the latter being a sort of deep orange moire, with either black or very dark brown thin edge stripes, and a broad central stripe of white of the same width as the orange. Please see the above illustration from a Bahasa language state manual, unforunately only the ladies insignia with chest bow.

Cheers,

James

I got my pieces in May of 1991, so perhaps a change in ribbon took place afterward? I've sent a msg to the Website manager for the State of Terengganu requesting clarification. Haven't had much luck with that approach in the past, so I'm not terribly optimistic.

Hugh

• Replies 133
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And how did a Polish guy become involved with Sarawak?

Hello Hugh and all,

I find Malaysian orders beautiful from the artistic point of view. Besides, I am fascinated by the multitude of ODMs they have. I guess, due to its federal structure, Malaysia has one of the most developed award systems of the world, giving way only to Imperial Germany.

As far as the Terengganu Order of the Crown is concerned, in1998 HM Mizan Zainal Abidin followed his father Mahmud Al-Muktafi Billah Shah as the 16th Sultan of Terengganu. It is possible that the ribbon was replaced just then, as it is the case sometimes on such ocassions. The new sultan established a new order, namely the Order of Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin Terengganu, thus discontinuing the Order of Sultan Mahmud Terengganu, established by his father. Both orders are kind of household orders, similar to the British Royal Victorian Order, while the Order of the Crown has the function similar to the Order of the British Empire. I am looking for an image of the Order of Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin Terengganu, or at least a description of what its ribbon looks like. If somebody has any information, please share.

Lukasz

And Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin:

D.K.M., D.K.T., D.K.R., D.M.N., S.U.M.Z., S.S.M.T., S.P.M.T.,

D.K. (Perlis), D.K. (Johor), D.K.M.B. (Brunei), D.K. (Perak), D.K. (Negeri Sembilan), D.K. (Kedah), D.K. (Kelantan), D.K. (Selangor), S.P.M.J., Commandeur de la Legion d'Honneur (France)

Antonio has ribbons of this Order at his site:

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas...terengganu1.gif

Regards, Ivan.

The titles and translations of the names of the orders there are a little strange. I am not sure where all that magnificense comes from. Too many to correct here, but the title of this particlar order is:

Darjah Kebesaran Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin Terengganu Yang Amat Terpilih or The Most Select Order of Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin of Trengganu.

Cheers,

James

Here are the Malays. I'll be adding a gaggle of Philippino to this board. I'll do closeups / names if anyone wants one.

Hugh

post-1655-1216687537.jpg

Hugh, if it is not too much trouble, could you please give the width of the particular ribbons? I am especially interested in the width of the sashes and neck ribbons.

Best,

Lukasz

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

Hugh, if it is not too much trouble, could you please give the width of the particular ribbons? I am especially interested in the width of the sashes and neck ribbons.

Best,

Lukasz

Keep in mind that I'm measuring in a frame through glass, so there may be minor disparities.

The Sarawak sashes = 97mm

Terengganu sash = 100mm

Neck ribbon - Defender of the Realm, 3rd cl. (JMN)= 41mm

" " - Crown of Malaysia, 3rd Cl. (JSM) = 48mm

Federal breast badges = 35mm

Sarawak breast badges = 38mm

Terengganu breast badges = 30mm

Perak / Selangor " "

Best,

Lukasz

Keep in mind that I'm measuring in a frame through glass, so there may be minor disparities.

Terengganu sash = 100mm

Perak / Selangor " "

Best,

Lukasz

Terengganu sash = 100mm

Perak / Selangor " "

Best,

Lukasz

Terengganu sash = 100mm

Perak / Selangor " "

Best,

Lukasz

Terengganu sash = 100mm

Perak / Selangor " "

Best,

Lukasz

Sarawak sashes = 97mm

Terengganu " =100mm

Federal Defender of the Realm (JMN) neck badge = 41mm

" Crown of Malaysia (JSM) " " = 48mm

Sabah Order of Kinabalu, (ADK) " " = 40 mm

Federal breast badges = 34 mm

Perak / Selangor breast badges = 32 mm

Sarawak " " = 38 mm

Terengganu " " = 30 mm

Johore Order of the Crown 1st class = 35mm

Johore " " = 30 mm

Kedah " " = 30 mm

Hope this helps

Hugh

I got my pieces in May of 1991, so perhaps a change in ribbon took place afterward? I've sent a msg to the Website manager for the State of Terengganu requesting clarification. Haven't had much luck with that approach in the past, so I'm not terribly optimistic.

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I happened to search the web for something completely different when I came across this website on the Chief Ministers of Trengganu at http://hr.terengganu.gov.my/sejarahmb.html

Many of them had received the SPMT going back to the 1970's and 1960's. From the sash colours it would appear the ribbon colour scheme for the DPMT that I posted held at least from the 1960's to 2005. So there remains something of a mystery over your riband and the method of wear for the DPMT badge.

Cheers,

James

As they said in Shakespeare in Love, "It's a mystery!" I wonder what Alan Tan was up to. Probably had some old sash ribbon on hand and figured I'd never know the difference. So now the question is - what is the ribbon I have on mine?

Perhaps Antonio can hedlp.

Hugh

To me this sash looks like that of Sabah's Panglima Gemilang Darjah Kinabalu Yang Amat Mulia (PGDK)

(Most Honourable Order of Kinabalu - Knight Commander) - the second type of the Order of Kinabalu, that has been in use since 1970 (http://www.medals.lava.pl/my/my3.htm#msh).

Lukasz

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

To me this sash looks like that of Sabah's Panglima Gemilang Darjah Kinabalu Yang Amat Mulia (PGDK)

(Most Honourable Order of Kinabalu - Knight Commander) - the second type of the Order of Kinabalu, that has been in use since 1970 (http://www.medals.lava.pl/my/my3.htm#msh).

Lukasz

You know, it makes perfect sense to me. We know that he had contracts for both Terengganu and Sabah during this period. If he didn't have the proper sash for Terengganu in stock, but did have Sabah, just put the two together for the customer. What a hoot!

Thanks; this makes it even more fun for me. But I suppose I probably need to see if I can find the proper sash also. Somehow, I doubt that it's in the OMSA ribbon bank!

Hugh

You know, it makes perfect sense to me. We know that he had contracts for both Terengganu and Sabah during this period. If he didn't have the proper sash for Terengganu in stock, but did have Sabah, just put the two together for the customer. What a hoot!

Thanks; this makes it even more fun for me. But I suppose I probably need to see if I can find the proper sash also. Somehow, I doubt that it's in the OMSA ribbon bank!

Hugh

Hugh,

There is no sash for this class. The badge is worn from a neck ribbon (men) or whoulder bow (ladies).

Cheers,

James