News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Not often I get to say "that'a a first".... never seen this cased and boxed. Can't remember ever seeing more than 3 real ones before. A good set of pix to save. :ots of copies out there. This one went 1580- Euro.

Nice case, nice box, but the cross do not match. It is different to those kind of crosses made by the Berliner M?nze. I would expect such an awarded piece in this case. And because of this "exchange" i also worry about the box ............ no problem to change the label from an EK-1st-class-box ........... and no problem to print out the label if i have a box for the Red-Cross 3rd class .............. bad thoughts, but not impossible .............

Regards

NavalMark

I think that the case is a beautiful original. Unfortunately, the cross is a copy, it doesn?t correspond to the stamp picture of the original stamp. I can?t say anything to the "Umkarton" but a manipulation is indeed very simple here of course.

Regards Mike

Well if it's a botch-job, somebody just paid a heck of a lot of Euros for it. I like the cross and the enamel work as well as the underlay. it's certainly not the Godet example commonly accepted as original, but beyond that.... I simply have no experience with the piece and thought it should be brought forward. I can offer no other images for review, these were all culled off of the eBay listing.

Not often I get to say "that'a a first".... never seen this cased and boxed. Can't remember ever seeing more than 3 real ones before. A good set of pix to save. :ots of copies out there. This one went 1580- Euro.

This is the first one I have ever seen! I have always wondered what these looked like. How many were awarded? I have a feeling that the price paid for this award is un-representative to it's overall rarity.

I think there were fewer than 200. Regards Mike

Thanks Mike! Rarer than I thought! I bet that only a fraction of that remain today. Does anyone have a photograph of it being worn?

Maybe my eyesight is getting bad but I have blown up the pictures of both badges and they look identical to me. The reverses look the same too . Can someone show me the difference? Ferg1

Two important points you can recognize always from distance:

1.) awarded pieces never have cut-out crosses on the crowns !

2.) awarded pieces habe gilted crowns but the cross is silver !

Regards

NavalMark

OK, very much enjoying this session of knowledge. I see a distinct lack of quality of finishing edges on the reverse of the eBay example. But after that..... they still look pretty darn close. You can distinctly see gilding on Mike's (beautiful) example. But in the eBay pix.... looks to me like there's gilding on a couple of those crowns as well. One thing I have learned from all my handling of fire-gilt navy pilot/observer badges is that the gilding is sometimes almost impossible to capture in a photo.....

Two important points you can recognize always from distance:

1.) awarded pieces never have cut-out crosses on the crowns !

2.) awarded pieces habe gilted crowns but the cross is silver !

Regards

NavalMark

That?s right, but the most important thing is the corners between the crowns and the cross. Unfortunately, my English is so bad but I have to Mot?rhead (Micha) german explains, perhaps he can better write waht I mine. The cross of Ebay fit by the form in the stamp im Berliner M?nzkabinett im Bode Museum. Best Regards Mike