Boris

K.u.K. Infantry Ranks (1914)

Boris,

well done indeed!

Regards

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, I hope there were no mistakes.

Regards

A very extrange thing... I was visiting in the Imperial War Museum last week and noticed that Stalin's marshall shoulderstraps have the same design exactly that the austro-hungarian for chief-officers.

A very extrange thing... I was visiting in the Imperial War Museum last week and noticed that Stalin's marshall shoulderstraps have the same design exactly that the austro-hungarian for chief-officers.

Yeah, I think Russia, Serbia, and Bulgaria had similar pattern generals straps that strongly resemble ,if not match, the Austrian collar braid.

Yeah, I think Russia, Serbia, and Bulgaria had similar pattern generals straps that strongly resemble ,if not match, the Austrian collar braid.

Even the Kaiser Wilhem wore it in this portrait:

I have found this photo from a Andreas Thies' auction catalog.

The Kaiser in uniform of "Chief of the 39th Russian-Dragoon Regiment". Two photographs with the Great Cross of the Roter Adler Order too. The first look-like better a hussar uniform. The shoulder-boards have de Wilhem II cypher and the

marshall german steaks "mando sobre mando".

Edited by Boris

Boris,

While those are most definately Russian shoulder boards, I'm afraid that photo of the Kaiser does not show him in a Russian uniform. I don't read German very well, but if Thies is saying he's wearing a Russian uniform then Thies has the photo misidentified. He's wearing the uniform of the German Marine Infantry. If you'll look under his arm he's holding his shako with the imperial marine infantry eagle and anchor on the front. :rolleyes:

seebatallionenhz4.jpg

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Boris,

While those are most definately Russian shoulder boards, I'm afraid that photo of the Kaiser does not show him in a Russian uniform. I don't read German very well, but if Thies is saying he's wearing a Russian uniform then Thies has the photo misidentified. He's wearing the uniform of the German Marine Infantry. If you'll look under his arm he's holding his shako with the imperial marine infantry eagle and anchor on the front. :rolleyes:

seebatallionenhz4.jpg

Hello Mike, then I must be wrong in some point with the catalog or traslation, I will take a view again more carefully. Maybe a preconceived thinking.

Anyway de question is why austro-hungarian and russian (serbian and bulgarian) use the same collar pacht draws. And now the kaiser in the first photo I put. ?Do you have and idea of why?

Regards

Hello Mike, then I must be wrong in some point with the catalog or traslation, I will take a view again more carefully. Maybe a preconceived thinking.

Anyway de question is why austro-hungarian and russian (serbian and bulgarian) use the same collar pacht draws. And now the kaiser in the first photo I put. ?Do you have and idea of why?

Regards

Hi, Boris,

I don't actually know why, but my guess would be that the pattern was considered nice looking.

The choice of the photo is a bit confusing - yes that is W2 a CC of the SEE Bn. The Andreas Thies' auction catalog is just talking about the boards and their supposed link with W2. I smell b/s. Unless there was a special 'documented' pattern for W2's exclusive use (or these are marked for W2 - which all his clothing seems to have been), then these (if original) are a pair of Imp. Russian senior officer's boards. In which case, the Andreas Thies' auction catalog team are pulling a hugh fraud.

Hello, well, there is a mistake but for my side of course.

The catalog is this:

And the photo for 114 text is this:

114 Paar Schulterst?cke aus dem pers?nlichen Besitz Kaiser Wilhelm II., getragen zur

Uniform als Chef des Kaiserlich Russischen 39. Dragoner-Regiments.

Fein versilberte Metallschuppen mit besonders dicken, losen silbernen Kantillen. Auf dem

Schaufeld aufgelegte, gekr?nte Chiffre ?WII? Wilhelm II. (mit K?nigskrone als preu?ischer

K?nig). Rotes Futter.

Wilhelm II. wurde am 29. 08. 1901 Chef des 39. Russischen Dragoner-Regiments. Bereits

am 6. 12. 1907 erhielt das Regiment wieder seinen althergebrachten Namen, 13. Husaren-

Regiment Narwa. Danach trug Wilhelm II. eine andere Uniform.

Ein fast identisches Epaulettenpaar befindet sich im ehemaligen Lenin-Museum in St.

Petersburg.

Extrem seltenes historisches Liebhaberst?ck in feinster Qualit?t und Erhaltung.

Zustand 1 ? 2.

The shoulder- Boards have this text, this time in english:

Personal Shoulder Boards of Austrian Emperor Francis Joseph I. as Head of the

Kexholmski-Regiment, Imperial Guard. Gold embroidery on blue ground with orange

edges. With Cypher ?FJ1? embroidered in silver thread and applied russian Field Marshalls

Batons in silver-gilt and enamels.

Impressive shoulder boards of the finest quality workmanship and guaranteed to be in all

parts original. Of the greatest rarity. Included a ?Carte de Visite? of Emperor Francis Joseph

in French language.

Condition 1 ? 2

Then the Schulterst?cke of Emperor Wilhem are the one he use as chief of 39 Russian Imperial Regiment of Dragons later (1907) renamed as 13 Hussar Regiment "Narwa". The first are from Emperor Francisco Jos?, and two things I didn't know the cypher were so similar and the same for the marshall steaks.

Anyway we are at the same point as far as Stalin's shoulder-boards is concerned. Maybe Mike is right and the relactonship is just to be a nice draw... is silly to look for three legs in a cat as we say here.

Regards

Edited by Boris