News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

grand cordon order of Leopold I, military division

Hello Gents,

I have this grand cordon in the order of Leopold I, military division.

It's looks very nice, although there is 1 small piece of enamel missing in the corner of one arm.

Would there be any chance of saying from what period it might be?

I have compared it with models from the book about this order by the Belgian army museum in Brussel.

It does not show this exact one, but it strongly looks like those from 1905 to 1932 (those are dates mentioned with medals shown in the book, not dates pinpointing an exact period for making this model), they vary just a bit on some details.

The back of my grand cordon just has a normal monogram, no number or something different.

Would I be correct if I can state it is from the first half of the 20th century, pre-war?

any other remarks are welcome.

kind regards,

Roeland

grkrleo12ml1.jpg

Edited by Roeland

Hello gents,

the seller told me that grand cordon's with one language are more rare as to those with both Dutch and French text.

Would that be correct?

Any idea how many orders have been decorated in this chivalry order?

kind regards,

Roeland

• 2 years later...

Hello Gents,

I have this grand cordon in the order of Leopold I, military division.

It's looks very nice, although there is 1 small piece of enamel missing in the corner of one arm.

Would there be any chance of saying from what period it might be?

I have compared it with models from the book about this order by the Belgian army museum in Brussel.

It does not show this exact one, but it strongly looks like those from 1905 to 1932 (those are dates mentioned with medals shown in the book, not dates pinpointing an exact period for making this model), they vary just a bit on some details.

The back of my grand cordon just has a normal monogram, no number or something different.

Would I be correct if I can state it is from the first half of the 20th century, pre-war?

any other remarks are welcome.

kind regards,

Roeland

Roeland,

Your GC came from Hereman's shop. This crown style was used on Commander/GC badge from roughly 1880's all the way up to beginning of WW2. There are couple of things to consider here.

Most of the earlier awards were made in (real) gold. Yours looks to be in silver gilt (it it hard to tell for certain but to my eye it does not have that 'warm' gold look).

Majority of post WW1 awards were in silver gilt and even bronze gilt.

If you had a case of issue, those were marked by Heremans (under the lid). There were 2 Heremans's: Jules and Fernand, both working out of Schaerbeek (city). It is said that Jules worked until 1920s and Fernand took over (he was the younger brother). Cases would reflect that change in different name. Otherwise, crown and features remained nearly identical.

In my collection I have 6 such crosses, 4 are cased (3 by Jules and 1 by Fernand). 4 by Jules are in gold (3 Civil and one Military), one in silver gilt (Military). Cross by Fernand is in silver gilt and is also Military.

Size was same for GC and Commander with this manufacturer.

Hope this was not too confusing and it helps in some way.