News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Feld- und- Forst Hüter Badge

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

This came by to be Epsonized today (such is the fame of my wonder machine ). I've seen various forms of similar badges, but none for many many long years.

This is the badge for a forest and game warden. Worn on an armband, or pinned on civilian clothes? I can remember seeing versions with holes for sewing onto something.

I'd say this was a busy fellow, whose hard work caused the pin to be replaced. Side by side with an EK1 of mine for actual same size comparison:

The eagle in the center is for the Nazi state of Prussia-- and perhaps may be for the Reich? Hard to get a good scan because this is so 3-D it rolls around. About 68mm high and about 63mm wide at the longest rays, or about 57mm in the "waist" of the middle.

Guest Rick Research

The banner is a separate piece rivetted on, which would seem to indicate that there would be other versions for persons hiding behind trees in positions of authority or whatever.

I seem to recall very similar pieces from circa 1933-35 for transitional police forces and so on.

Any information on this gratefully appreciated by the owner (and me). :beer:

There is a very interesting thread over on WAF showing the various designs of this badge & a little history behind them. As I know that you rarely if ever visit there rick I'l sure Joe Wotka will not mine me copying his information here. Here's the link for reference http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...highlight=Forst

Here's Joe W's reply

"I believe this subject was discussed at length on Houston Coates' forum over at GD.com, but perhaps the older thread was nuked. While the Feld- und Forsthuters were part of Prussia for decades, the badges being discussed were rather recent and totally III Reich. They were created by order of the Prussian Interior Ministry on August 10, 1933. The original style Prussian flying eagle was to be soon replaced by the Pro Patria style Prussian eagle introduced by Goring with swastika, sword and lightening bolts incorporated in the design.

The regulations called for both Feld-und Forsthuters and Ehrernfeldhuters to wear no uniform. As a symbol of their official position, they were issued either the police star as a badge or a green armband with the wording "Feld-und Forst-Huter" in centered on each side of a white metal police star. There is no explanation if the metal badge on the armband is the same as the police badge or a different style. In addition, employing authority could equip the Huters with a service cap after the style of the Gemeindepolizei officials.

Those employed were authorized to be armed with a walking staff and if locally required, a police truncheon or blade sidearm. In certain circumstances, a handgun was issued according to all laws and regulations.

The F.W. Assmann & Sohne catalog of the later 1930s illustrated both the older style Prussian eagle as welll as a new style shown for the Ehren-Feldhuter. Both the badges are described as an arm badge with hinge pin."

Guest Rick Research

Never more/again, actually. :rolleyes:

I have VERY dim recollections of seeing what I remember as an "identity disk" type oval badge on a green armband, with the "Feld und Forst H?ter" lettering sans design.

Wasn't sure whether this was worn Wild West Sheriff style (a little easier to SEE that way) or on the sleeve of a forestry or hunting association uniform, like a Feldgendarmerie On Duty gorget. :beer:

Out of curiosity, not having SEEN one of these in probably 25 years, and in our Online Today/Gone Forever sales era, what (approximately) would a dingus like this be "worth" today?

It's an oddball item, obviously. Don't know about "demand," but "supply" seems quite limited. They are BIG things and that alone would make any floating around noticable.

(Germany, 1936: a man in a Tyrolean hat and Lederhosen leaps out from behind a bush brandishing a mountaineering staff: "I doan got to show chu no steenken batches!" he snarls, pointing at an illegal campfire... :cheeky: )

Guest Rick Research

Here's the circa 1937/38 undated Assmann reprint (got this from the notorious Hollywood Military Hobbies circa 1970) showing

? older Weimar style F&FH (they continued selling outmoded stock :speechless: ) and the mentioned "flting" version of the Prussian eagle, which I think was replaced by the folded wings version on the actual badge up top-- but am not clear on chronology.

• 1 year later...
    • 3 years later...

Here's another one found last week in the Kaliningrad region (Russia). It looks like the House in which was found burned.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-16207-0-59093800-1379580584.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-16207-0-82788800-1379580602.jpg