News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Philippine ODM

Hugh

Here is the 2nd highest ranking Civil Awards of the Philippines, the Order of Lakandula, which ranks just below the Quezon Service Cross.

The Order of Lakandula was instituted on 19 September 2003 in 6 Classes. It is awarded for political and civic merit, in memory of King Lankandula's dedication to the responsibilities of leadership, prudence, fortitude, courage and resolve in the service of one's people.

Hilary Clinton, and Prince Felipe of Spain (who is now King Felipe VI) were awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of Lakandula. King Juan Carlos of Spain, Emperor Akhi Hito of Japan, and President Teodoro Obiang Nguema from Equatorial Guinea were awarded the Grand Collar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Lakandula

It is very hard to get. The collar is not mine.....

I catch the Commander in a London auction, and the Member badge in Manila.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Order of Lakandula Collar 1.jpg

Philippines Order of Lakandula Collar 2.jpg

Philippines Order of Lakandula Commander obverse.jpg

Philippines Order of Lakandula Commander reverse.jpg

Philippines Order of Lakandula Member obverse.jpg

Philippines Order of Lakandula Member reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

• Replies 61
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Order of Kalantiao, is a much less known award of the Philippines. But it is not a State Award.

It is a fraternal order from the Central Philippine University College of Law

Sadly I never have had the occasion to see one with my own eyes.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Philippines Order Kalantiao neck badge.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

Very little is known about this Medal for Heroism in Time of Disaster.

There is the symbolism of the sun with the 3 stars, like on the white part triangle of the National Flag of the Philippines..

But we might guess it's a kind of civil gallantry award.

Manufacture is more modern, likely from the end of the 1980ies, or 1990ies.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Medal for Heroism in Time of Disaster.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the reverse of the Commander version of the Philippine Legion of Honor which has writing within the gilding which I wasn't able to post before.

Philippines-Legion of Honor-Commander-R.jpg

Edited by Shots Dave
    correct spelling mistake

• 2 months later...
    On 16/05/2020 at 06:04, heusy68 said:

In 2014, I had the opportunity to buy in Manila, the insignia of the Order of the National Artist of the Philippines.

It's a very very large badge hung around the neck. About 14 centimeters large.

On the reverse the inscription : " Order of the National Artist - Republic of the Philippines"

Manufactured by A Zamora & Son's.

This award was instituted in 1972, and since then had been awarded 73 times. It can be awarded for Music, Dance, Theater, Literature, Contemporary Arts, Architecture Design & Allied Arts, Film & Broadcasting Arts.

According to my research on the net, there is others type of insignia of Order of National Artist.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Order of the National Artist obverse.jpg

Philippines Order of the National Artist reverse.jpg

On 21/05/2020 at 07:05, heusy68 said:

The Order of Kalantiao, is a much less known award of the Philippines. But it is not a State Award.

It is a fraternal order from the Central Philippine University College of Law

Sadly I never have had the occasion to see one with my own eyes.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Philippines Order Kalantiao neck badge.jpg

The Order of Kalantiao was once a State Decoration of the Philippine Republic instituted around 1973 but was discontinued around 2003. It was awarded to members of the Philippine judiciary . It has 3 ranks all of which I had duplicates.

It was NEVER a fraternal order.

The Philippine Order of the National Artist decoration is a Grand Collar and was NEVER a medallion worn with a neck ribbon. I believe the medallion with a neck ribbon is a fantasy piece struck by Angel Zamora. I own 2 of these. I believe these were struck Zamora as a means to persuade the government that they could also strike these decoration. At that time Jose Tupaz of El Oro had the sole rights to strike the Grand collar for the government. I own 3 Grand Collars of the Order of the National Artist in my collection.

I have been collecting Philippine medals for 20 years. My expertise are Philippine State Decorations and Philippine Military medals.

Doc Blas

Edited by snowpie

On 21/05/2020 at 06:41, heusy68 said:

Here is the 2nd highest ranking Civil Awards of the Philippines, the Order of Lakandula, which ranks just below the Quezon Service Cross.

The Order of Lakandula was instituted on 19 September 2003 in 6 Classes. It is awarded for political and civic merit, in memory of King Lankandula's dedication to the responsibilities of leadership, prudence, fortitude, courage and resolve in the service of one's people.

Hilary Clinton, and Prince Felipe of Spain (who is now King Felipe VI) were awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of Lakandula. King Juan Carlos of Spain, Emperor Akhi Hito of Japan, and President Teodoro Obiang Nguema from Equatorial Guinea were awarded the Grand Collar.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

On 21/05/2020 at 06:41, heusy68 said:

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

34 minutes ago, snowpie said:

The Order of Kalantiao instituted in 1973 was once a State Decoration of the Philippine Republic but was discontinued around 2003. It was awarded to members of the Philippine judiciary .

I have been collecting Philippine medals for 20 years. My expertise are the Philippine State decorations and Philippine Military medals.

If you have any questions about my country's State decorations, please let me know.

Doc Blas

Edited by snowpie

On 11/08/2020 at 23:56, snowpie said:

The Order of Kalantiao was once a State Decoration of the Philippine Republic instituted around 1973 but was discontinued around 2003. It was awarded to members of the Philippine judiciary . It has 3 ranks all of which I had duplicates.

The Philippine Order of the National Artist decoration is a Grand Collar and was NEVER a medallion worn with a neck ribbon. I believe the medallion with a neck ribbon is a fantasy piece struck by Angel Zamora. I own 2 of these. I believe these were struck Zamora as a means to persuade the government that they could also strike these decoration. At that time Jose Tupaz of El Oro had the sole rights to strike the Grand collar for the government. I own 3 Grand Collars of the Order of the National Artist in my collection.

I have been collecting Philippine medals for 20 years. My expertise are Philippine State Decorations and Philippine Military medals.

Doc Blas

Hello Doc Blas,

Ok, I agree that the National Artist badge hung on a neck ribbon is not the way it has to be worn, and as I bought it from Zamora, it make sense. But this badge looks like a Collar Badge, without its suspension. And again it make sense. Often manufacturer of Orders & Medals produce insignia to show to Government Representative, hoping they could approve them. This happens in almost every country in the world.

Concerning Order of Kalianto, as so few information were available, I have reported what I found, and in the Reynolds Book there is no entry on Order of Kalianto, because Reynolds is only about military awards. So I wrote a mistake, but at least I show a photo of the award. 

You did correct my mistake, but you add no photo to increase the data base of this forum.....(a bit sad).

Best regards.

Emmanuel

• 9 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Here I can show 2 photo, of the Philippines Police Medal of Valor, Type 1 at left, and Type 2 ( current type ), at right.

On its current form, The Philippines Police Medal of Valor ( Medalya ng Kagitingan ) was instituted on 23 September 1993; for Conspicuous Gallantry and Intrepidity at risk of life, and limb above and beyond the call of duty. There had been an amendement of the regulation of this Award, on 10 July & 30 November 2006, then again on 27 October 2010.

In order to justify this award, a member of the PNP ( Philippines Police ), must perform in action, a deed of personal bravery and self sacrifice above and beyond the call of duty, so conspicuous, as to distinguish himself clearly above his comrades, in the performance of more than ordinary hazardous service.

In case of actual combat with armed enemies, the award may be given, only if the enemy force is so overwhelming as compared to the government troops.

The President of the Philippines approves the Award.

The Award can be awarded posthumously.

The Philippines Police Medal of Valor entitles the widower and/or dependents of the awardee to a lifetime monthly gratuity, and precedence in employment in National Government Agencies ( NGAs ), or Government-Owned and Controlled Corporations ( GOCCs ) among other benefits.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Police Medal of Valor Type 1.jpeg

Philippines Police Medal of Valour Type 2 - Medalya ng Kagitingan.jpg

Edited by heusy68

It seems there is a Hall of Honor for the Philippines Medal of Valor awardee.

Hope to be able to visit this hall, ounce the pandemy will be under control.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Philippines Police Medal of Valor Hall of Honour.jpeg

• 2 months later...

The Fightingest Colonel

Medals that tell our history

Today Aug. 8, 2021 is the 120th anniversary of the defunct Philippine Constabulary. Few will remember  as this organization was dissolved 30 years ago.
         The Phil. Constabulary was established by the American colonial regime to take over from the U.S. military the responsibility in establishing peace and order in the Islands. It was also a way to show that the U.S. was transitioning from a military rule to civilian rule throughout the Islands.
         Captain Henry Allen was chosen to lead the new fledging force. He was promptly promoted to Brig. General. Several officers were also assigned as Assistant PC Chiefs. One of them was Wallace C. Taylor.
        In many encounters all over the Islands, from the fanatical pulajanes in Samar to the fierce Moro warriors in Sulu, the PC men upheld their motto " Always outnumbered, but never outfought". Since its inception, the organization
    built up a reputation of professionalism, discipline and courage among its ranks. This was attributed to the excellent officers  who molded the PC initially. This included officers like Maj. Costosa, Capt. Crockett, Lt. Preuss. One of the PC officers stood out, the Assistant PC Chief Col. Wallace C. Taylor, known as the "fightingest" Colonel in the Islands.
        As one of the  Assistant PC Chief assigned to a Military district known as a hotbed of insurgents and bandits, Col Taylor did not confine himself as a pencil pusher in an administrative desk job. He led from the front. Wherever or whenever there was trouble brewing, the good colonel was there, thus he was involved in many skirmishes and gun battles with ladrones, pulajanes and insurgents.
         As testament to his extraordinary leadership qualities and bravery he was awarded the Philippine Constabulary Medal of Valor (MOV), the precursor of the present AFP MOV in 1905 in a firefight with pulajanes in Jautna, Samar where he was almost fatally shot in the jaw. Inspite of being grieviously wounded he remained conscious to direct his men to overcome the enemy.
          In 2016, his actual Medal of Valor was offered in an auction block. I was able to acquire it. The only one of its kind in existence.
    A few weeks later Col. Taylor's PC uniform was also placed in the auction block. I was not fortunate to acquire it though. It would have been "historic" of his Medal of Valor was united with his PC uniform. Alas it was not meant to be.
         Fast forward August 2021, after 
    108 years (!)  Col. Taylor's Medal of Valor was united with his PC uniform in which he would have worn proudly here in the Philippines.

Apparently, miracles still do happen.

Happy 120th Anniversary to the Philippine.Constabulary.IMG_20210808_181744.thumb.jpg.3c5050475919b3e00f7babb301551c63.jpg

Col. Wallace C. Taylor's Philippine Constabulary uniform ( circa 1913?) with the PC Medal of Valor in the left upper pocket

• 1 year later...

Interesting that some life has just been blown into this thread, 'cos I've been working on my Philippines section too!

A quick question: Emmanuel shows 2 types of the Philippines National Police Medal of Valour. Yet all the documentation I can find only describes the second type (on a neck ribbon/cravat), and claim as the date of institution for this award 23 September 1993, citing a document NAPOLCOM Memorandum Circular No. 93-018, dated September 23, 1993, concerning honours and awards of the police.... in which the Type 2 as shown by Emmanuel is described!

Needless to say I have an image of the Type 1 which I am just about to put up, but I am confused. When was it instituted? And was 1993 when it was replaced by Type 2 rather than when the actual award was instituted?

At the moment the only Type 1 images I've seen are Emmanuel's and the one I have - source Spinks Auction 21001 lot 1132 (Spinks have given me the run of their catalogues, the darlings!).