News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A few machine guns from the museum's collection

Brian Wolfe

Here's a Lewis gun missing its cooling fin jacket and bi-pod. This is not an aircraft version as the fins would have been completely removed and the shoulder stock would have been replaced with a spade handle. The drum magazine is missing to prevent it from "walking: out the door with some light fingered visitor. I have owned one of these in excellent condition and I hate to see one like this missing its "skin". The drum magazine for the army model held 47 rounds and the aircraft version held round 90 rounds (I don't recall the exact number). The rate of fire was 450 rounds/min. Not fast in today's standards but pretty good back in the day.

Brian

Thats the best Spandau they could find? Half of it is missing!! Have they removed the parts for security?

Best

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure about this particular item but they have had a lot of problems with "lost" parts. While I was visitng I discovered that the Chairman and I used to belong to the same collector's club back in the 1960s. We got talking about the displays and he showed me into the vault room where the weapons that are not for display are kept. It was like being in heaven and probably as close as I'll ever get. No photography was allowed of course. He informed me that a lot of parts have been removed to prevent theft. Amost all of the weapons have been donated so this one may have arrived in this condition. I would like to become a member of the museum and if I do so I'll look into it. When I saw it I thought to myself that I was no where as nice as the one you have.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Here we see the Bren on its tripod and below it the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR). I love these two guns!

Brian

Thanks for showing the pictures Brian.

If you like BRENs, I have just posted the 2 I got. One, the MK II is a Canadian.

Kjell

• 3 weeks later...

This I think is a twin 30 cal. deck gun. I can't find my notes on this so if anyone can add information please do so.

After a recent visit to the museum I now have a few more photos to augment my previous posts. This is the plate from the machine gun.

Cheers

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Chris/Brian after WWI the Canadians had by far the largest amount of 'war booty' amongst all the Allies returned to Canada. To ensure legal movement even if it were a personal 'trophy' the Canadians insisted that the feedblocks were removed/discarded. Therefore often in the Candian Legions there are superb examples of 08/15 but missing the feedblock. At the time that was the deactivation requirement!! I guess this MG08 may be a battlefield pick up and is as is, or indeed all the missing parts are in safe custody below. Like most mueums though I would imagine there is no intention to make 'complete' just portray as is. Nonetheless some great photos.

Mark

ior the one is a examand

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure about this particular item but they have had a lot of problems with "lost" parts. While I was visitng I discovered that the Chairman and I used to belong to the same collector's club back in the 1960s. We got talking about the displays and he showed me into the vault room where the weapons that are not for display are kept. It was like being in heaven and probably as close as I'll ever get. No photography was allowed of course. He informed me that a lot of parts have been removed to prevent theft. Amost all of the weapons have been donated so this one may have arrived in this condition. I would like to become a member of the museum and if I do so I'll look into it. When I saw it I thought to myself that I was no where as nice as the one you have.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian