News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

JNA peacekeepers

• Replies 59
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...
    • 3 years later...

Again- i learned something very new here. Thanks for posting. I had no idea that Yugoslavia had been so active in the Un peacekeeping operations. There's quite a bit about them in the UN sites.

Yugoslav soldiers arriving in the Siani on May 8, 1961.

The Yugoslav troops were with the UNEF since its inception in 1956. My father was with the force between 1957 and 1959 with the Indian contingent and I have photographs of him with some Colombian and Yugoslav officers at that time and he states that they were present with the first Indian contingent who had arrived in 1956.

Some UNEF pins. These pins were presented to soldiers who took part in UNEF mission. There are different dates on these badges. These dates indicate year when the soldier served in the mission. On my pins there are the following dates: 1959, 1960, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965 and 1967.

attachicon.gifIMG_3921.JPG

I possess the one with 1956-1960 inscribed on it..... gifted to my father who was with 1 Para Battalion of the second Indian contingent by his Yugoslav friends in the UNEF.

These medalions are realy not medals. As Gordon Craig and Kevin in Deva have alredy said, they are mementos or souvenirs. In mean time I have found out that these medalions are part of keychains. Here in the following picture you can see how such keychain looks

• 4 weeks later...