News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victorian Era Naval Tunic?

Hi guys,

I came across this uniform today and it is beyond my scope of knowledge.

The fellow selling it says he bought it 25 years ago in England, before migrating to Canada. He says it is an "old English Naval uniform". All original, except for the buttons..which he replaced himself. The gold striping and tassles appear to be real bullion. The thought that this could be a costume keeps popping into my head, but I just don't know.

I was wondering if anyone can confirm what this uniform is? Is it authentic, military and from what era?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jeff

Edited by jholl72

Guest Rick Research

Too bad he screwed with the buttons-- those would most likely have accurately dated it--and were probably removed to DISGUISE its dating. :speechless:

This is a CLASSIC "eternally" 1740s styled lackey's outfit. Any 18th century M'lud would have had his household staff fitted out in outfits like this BUT it is most likely much more recent:

The only folks still wearing this sort of "traditional" garb are the outriders on the Royal coaches during coronations and Royal weddings or palace footmen.

Seek comparison photos there. :beer:

If the price is decent and it fits, this would make an exceptional Halloween costume (I'm thinking tricorne hat and a hook :rolleyes: ). You literally cannot buy quality like this any more, so ?1930s or ? 1950s doesn't matter.

Thanks for the input guys. I have never handled anything uniforms before WWI so I wasn't sure, but something didn't sit right with me.

I saw some other fake items there and with this one being modern, I think I will avoid shopping at that place again.

Again, thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jeff

Hi Rick,

He had $450 on it but would take $350 for it!LOL!

He had alot of stuff there, some fake, some misidentified, some modern stuff marked as war time.

You know the kind, a WWII Brit Service Dress jacket, trousers and shirt...then you look at the label and it says 1962 on it. Last time I read a history book, WWII was over by then.

I got a good chuckle out of the tricorne hat and hook comment, it actually would be a good hallween costume if it was $20.

Edited by jholl72

The pockets are false pockets.

Although some have gone to town dismissing the status of this uniform, one shouldn't be all that quick to judge.

There are all sorts of civic officials, town criers, city livery company people, and so on who may wear 18th century uniforms of this kind. They will be be of modern manufacture, but all sorts of bits and pieces will be reused and they will have a genuine history. If, for example, the town in question has maritime or naval connections then naval themes may be found on their garb, buttons, etc.