News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russian Ssh40 Steel Helmet

Years ago I picked up this helmet described as a Russian Ssh40 Steel Helmet from World War II. It is in excellent condition, complete with liner and chin strap. I know its tough to be certain but can anyone give an opinion as to whether it is from the Second World War or from sometime during the Cold War? I have included 4 images below. The last one shows two markings, a stamped 2 on the inside of the shell and another stamp on the underside of the chin strap. Also, you can see that the padding is cloth with grass or straw packed in. It doesn't have the usual black leather pads.

I actually posted this question on another forum a long time ago. I'm considering selling it but wanted to get some more opinions before potentially parting with it. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Brian R

Paul. Like most other Russian/Soviet militaria prices helmet prices are on the rise. What the current price for a good war time helmet is.... Well, those unsold are too expensive. Also for some reason it's easier to find the model before M40, with a sack-like liner, than the three pad variation. I still haven't found a good one for my own collection. Good luck finding one. Soviet helmets are much more rare than German.

Many 1948 dated helmets have magically turned into 1943 dated helmets. So there are fakes in this field too... :speechless:

/Kim

GENUINELY dated wartime helmets are exceptionally scarce. i think the rule with these is to think 'how much would I pay for one that may be war time?'

If in doubt buy a Ssch 36, a beautiful helmet and guaranteed wartime regardless of ink stamps!

GENUINELY dated wartime helmets are exceptionally scarce. i think the rule with these is to think 'how much would I pay for one that may be war time?'

If in doubt buy a Ssch 36, a beautiful helmet and guaranteed wartime regardless of ink stamps!

Belaruski,

No so guaranteed anymore, since these are now faked very convincingly.

Marc

Can you buy these honestly, at repro prices, or do they only come out as fakes?

Belaruski,

Let me put it this way: everything offered is ALWAYS genuine... Now, it is up to you to determine the "level of genuineness" ;)

Marc

• 1 year later...

the Hungarian M50 helmet is the first post WWII helmet manufactured by the Hungarians, these are not that easy to find, seems like you see the Polish WZ50 much more than the Hungarian M50 helmets on ebay

lots of these were also exported to the middle east and used in the Arab / Israeli wars