News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Tanto added to collection

lach470

Hey gang! Here's a cool blade that I'm happy to have added to the collection. Possibly late 1800's / early 1900's made - would that make it Meiji?

Was looking to add to my two ww2 Katanas....I like this piece. Hand made and in great condition, it has some Kanji on it - but it's very faded and pretty much impossible to make out. A shame - 'cause I'd love to know what it says. I took some pics but I don't think anyone will be able to help out on that - the writting is too far gone.

Lots of pics to post. Couldn't get the right lighting so I tried direct sunlight...not the best pics but they'll do for now.

Cheers gang!

Hey Paul! I have to agree! Prices are high! I'm not that big into them....only have these three. Have more German daggers that are also a pricey item!

Glad you like it. I have another Japanese collector who thinks it might be an even earlier piece. Will keep you posted.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Very nice tanto. Do I understand that the Kanji is on the scabbard? If so have you tried looking at it under black light? Sometimes this brings up writing that has faded.

Also you should display your katanas with the sharp edge up, that's the traditional way they should rest.

As to price, my way of thinking is that these blades are priceless (even though everything has a price tag).

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Hey Brian! Thanks for the tip! I will turn them around for sure! I'll also have to get myself a black light and give that a try. I'd love to get it figured out .... looks like it was done with a "fat" instrument - the lines are quite thick.

Glad you like it buddy .... yes, I too consider these priceless! These blades won't be going anywhere soon!

Cheers!

Rob

Hey Brian! Thanks for the tip! I will turn them around for sure! I'll also have to get myself a black light and give that a try. I'd love to get it figured out .... looks like it was done with a "fat" instrument - the lines are quite thick.

Glad you like it buddy .... yes, I too consider these priceless! These blades won't be going anywhere soon!

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

What made me think of a black light was that I purchased a Sperm Whale tooth a few years ago (what the hell was I thinking? :speechless: ) and there was some writing on the side. I couldn't read it at all but under the black light I could read it perfectly. It gave the location where the whale had been taken. I thought that was pretty cool, notwithstanding they are now endangered.

Be sure to keep us updated.

Cheers

Brian

Guest Rick Research

Another trick I've discovered with my Epson scanner and limited computer technology (the antedeluvian "Paint" feature that I think might still be buried on every computer) is to scan and then "invert" the scan's colors for a negative effect. Works really well on Damascus patterns:

Also try your writing "north and south" and then another scan "east and west." sometimes the scanner shadow moving produces different contrast if you hold something at 90% from what at first looks hopeless.

• 3 months later...
    • 3 months later...