News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Death Penny frames

Hello gentlemen,

Does anyone know whether wooden frames for WW I Death Plaques are being made by any dealers? Were they commonly available for purchase after the Great War? I occasionally see them for sale with a Death Penny on E-bay. Unfortunately, I have not seen them for sale seperately. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

All the best,

Jaybo

Hello Jaybo,

I have one plaque with frame which has a very fancy design (in my opinion) compared to the plain round frames. I don't think they're being made today but if they were it wouldn't surprise me. I have seen modern cases, resembling a kind of coin or medal case, made to fit plaques.

Tony

Hello Jaybo,

I have one plaque with frame which has a very fancy design (in my opinion) compared to the plain round frames. I don't think they're being made today but if they were it wouldn't surprise me. I have seen modern cases, resembling a kind of coin or medal case, made to fit plaques.

Tony

Hello Tony,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have seen the modern frame type to which you have referred. I'm looking for the older plain wooden round type. My example is, alas, sans medals but it is for a Tyne Cot casualty. My best friend and I were fortunate enough to visit his inscription there last September.

All the best,

Jaybo

There were, of course, no standard designs for these. Enterprising local manufacturers created and then filled the "market". I'm not sure any thought was given as to what the families were supposed to do with these cumbersome things.

Any frame -- then or now -- would just be an "after-marfet" affectation.

There were, of course, no standard designs for these. Enterprising local manufacturers created and then filled the "market". I'm not sure any thought was given as to what the families were supposed to do with these cumbersome things.

Any frame -- then or now -- would just be an "after-marfet" affectation.

Hello Ed,

Thanks for the insight.

Jaybo

Some relatives of the deceased, in their grief & perhaps pride obtained these frames & presumably treasured their contents.

I don't have any such frame, the closest I came was about 10 or more years ago, when my mother gave me an old gilt framed photograph & memorial certificate to a WWI fatality. She'd found it in a charity shop, I went there & found the seperate gilt frames for his medals & his death plaque in the window, but the shop was shut so my initial impulse to grab was thwarted - & then I had time to realise that I could'nt do a lot with them anyway, other than marry them up with another mans medals & plaque.

Personally, I'd settle for a modern frame by "Poppy" or "EG Frames", with a "Soldiers Died or CWGC type certificate or plaque with typed/ inscribed details, rather than wait for an old one, which after all would really "belong" to a different fatality.