News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Russian Documents

Paul & Ed,

I thank you for identifying what these are and I could not tell you if they are real or not. I can say that they "look and feel" real but I'm not educated at all in Russian memorabilia.

I would ask if they are researchable and how do you tell the difference in fake/real?

Yes, but these are so widely faked that . . . ??? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

IMHO, there's good and bad in what was shown, but most would fall in the second category (basically everything with those magic 4 letters, the year 1941 was also a bad vintage :rolleyes: )

Marc

All NKVD officers. Those nice kind people who beat you up (and worse) in the Lubyanka.

Paul

Paul,

That is way too schematic. The NKVD was a huge organization, part of which was made up by "the Bad Guys"; but firemen, and even road repair crews, were also members - albeit less glamorous for most - of the NKVD.

Marc

Guest Rick Research

The ones from the NKVD are all from the civil police (Militia).

I don't have enough experience with these to hazard a guess, but would need larger scans. They're not "exciting" people (though the 1950 MGB officer MIGHT be) so I don't know what poijnt there would be in mocking them up. That's a lot of work for completely different IDs from Kronshtadt (Leningrad) all the way to the Crimea.

The ones from the NKVD are all from the civil police (Militia).

I don't have enough experience with these to hazard a guess, but would need larger scans. They're not "exciting" people (though the 1950 MGB officer MIGHT be) so I don't know what poijnt there would be in mocking them up. That's a lot of work for completely different IDs from Kronshtadt (Leningrad) all the way to the Crimea.

Rick,

You'd be surprized by the amount and variety of fake documents. 99.5% of NKVD documents that you can see are fake. Have a look at the Soviet Awards forum, these are regularly shown and discussed.

Marc

Rick,

You'd be surprized by the amount and variety of fake documents. 99.5% of NKVD documents that you can see are fake. Have a look at the Soviet Awards forum, these are regularly shown and discussed.

Marc

I know that one of the ways to check for doctored pieces of documentation is to place them under a ultra violet light which will reveal if they have been spiced up a bit.

Paul

I know that one of the ways to check for doctored pieces of documentation is to place them under a ultra violet light which will reveal if they have been spiced up a bit.

Paul

Paul,

It is one indicator, but not a definitive test in itself.

Marc