News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Polish Legion Uhlan

Ian

I wanted to share this great photo of a Polish Legion Uhlan that I recently obtained. The ?auxiliary? units (Poles, Ukrainians and Albanians) of the Austro-Hungarian Army interest me and I am trying to learn more about their uniforms, rank insignia and structure.

I believe that the man pictured is a member of the Polish Legion Uhlan Regiment No1. However, I am baffled by his rank :banger: . Can anyone enlighten me on this and perhaps point me in the direction of some reference material?

The reverse of the card is also shown. I have worked out the greeting on the card, but haven?t been able to decipher the senders? name. I think it is Unteroffizier Karl H**elmann-******. Can anyone enlighten me please.

Cheers,

Ian

Guest Rick Research

Hmm. Flawed handwriting and spelling...

6/IV 17 Warschau

Zum Andenkung

(lasst?) mein Bild

f?r Schwester

Helene

Polnischer-Legioner

Untoffz Karl Yerguessizazgudazmine

So a memento for a German speaking nurse. Not HIS sister, I'd say.

Rick,

I had the translation slightly wrong. On re-reading it I agree with you that he has sent his picture to a German speaking nurse. I notice you didn't add the hyphen to his name? I have it as Untoffz Karl Yerguessizazgud-azmine.

Ian

Rick,

I had the translation slightly wrong. On re-reading it I agree with you that he has sent his picture to a German speaking nurse. I notice you didn't add the hyphen to his name? I have it as Untoffz Karl Yerguessizazgud-azmine.

Ian

I would read (lasst?) as lasse (comparing the e in the next words).

For his name: What about Fridman-Dozewo

Edited by David M

David,

Thanks for taking the time to add your comments and I think you could well be right about his last name.

Definately 'lasse' and not 'lasst'. His flawed handwriting (and spelling) makes a whole lot of sense when you consider that German was probably his not his first language.

• 3 years later...
    • 5 weeks later...

The medieval Polish Knights and horsemen were some of the most skilled in Europe. They

were quite ferocious in battle and it was they - who turned the Ottoman troops back from the gates of Vienna.

During the Napoleonic Wars their Lancer Regiments were seized on by Napoleon and were integrated into

the French Army. They were very effective as no-one wanted to face a 3 metre (9 feet) Lance.

This came to a head at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. The British Heavy Cavalry charged the French guns -

quite succesfully, however during their retreat to the British Lines Napoleon sent the Uhlans after the British.

Our heavy equipment and thick mud brough many casualties from the lances and one of our most famous

Regiments - The Royal Scots Greys - were nearly wiped out.

This brought changes in the British Army and a number of our light cavalry regiments were converted into

Lancers. Therefore the history for British Lancer Regiments only commences from 1815. The Polish uniform with the breast plastron was copied - as was the Polish Uhlans Tschapka. We still have some Lancer Regts. - but outside of Ceremonial duties they drive tanks.

This Tschapka is for the 17th Lancers - a very famous Regiment - it dates to the 1879 period when they fought against

the Zulus. I am told the yellow band should be blue , but I don't want to touch it as it is quite fragile. The last Battle Honour on the helmet plate is for South Africa 1879.

So, a living testimony to the bravery and battle skills of the old Polish horsemen.

CLICK PICTURES TO ENLARGE)