News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Emergency Service Medal 1939-45, Local security Forces

Guest IMHF

Emergency Service Medal 1939-45, Local security Forces

Here is a medal I am tring to buy, it says it is Iraqi????? It looks like a British Medal.

Can any one ID this Medal for me, I submitted the order for the medal but it is not guaranteed to get it:

Thank you

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Thank you for moving this for me: Liverpoolmedals.com had it in their Iraqi Medal Collection, so I trusted that they knew what they were selling for being in the medal business.

Thank you for your help I submitted the order for the medal but it is not guaranteed to get it:

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Hi Lorenzo,

With Liverpool Medals I think it's not so much that they don't know their medals, but more a 'filing error'. After all, Iraq is close to Ireland alphabetically - they had a medal from Dahomey listed in the Denmark section for a long while for the same reason.

/Mike

Hallo Lorenzo

THE IRISH EMERGENCY SERVICE MEDALS 1939-1946.

Designer: Laurence Campbell, RHA, whose name appears on the bottom right of the obverse.

Manufacturer: P. Quinn Ltd, and Jewellery and Metal Mfg., Co.

1. NA FORSA COSANTA (The Defence Forces). Very Common.

2. AN FORSA COSANTA AITUIL (The Local Defence Force).

3. FORSA NA NOGLACH 2U LINE (Second Line Volunteer Reserve.)* Very Common.

4. 26U CATHLAN (26th Battalion)* RARE!

5. AN SLUA MUIRI (The Naval Inscription).

6. AN SEIRBHIS SEIPLINEACHTA (The Chaplincy Service.)* RAREST!

7. SEIRBIS ALTRANAIS AN AIRM (The Nursing Service.) 2nd RAREST!!

8. RANNA CABHAIR DEONTAHCA CUMANN CROISE DEIRGE NA H-EIREANN.

(Volunteer Aid Division, The Irish Red Cross Society.)

9. RANNA CEAD-CABHRAC CUMANN CROISE DEIRGE NA H_EIREANN.

(First Aid Division, Irish Red Cross Society.)

10. NA SEIRBHISE REAMHCURAIM IN AGHAIDH AER-RUTHAR.

(Air Raid Precautions Organisation.)

11. CAOMNOIRI AITIULA. (Local Security Force.)**

Ribbons: Medals 1 - 7 had a ribbon with a single white stripe, the second type of ribbon has two white stripes. The L.D.F. Medal was originally issued with the second type, but was changed some time after the Emergency to the first type ribbon.

Bars: Bars were authorized for each additional two years, consecutive or aggregate, beyond the qualifying period. NO MORE than TWO bars being awarded to ANYONE.

The value depends on the type: * Rare ones. as in less numbers issued as these units were very small in comparison with the others. The Chaplaincy and 28 Bn (Old IRA members) also affect the prices.

** Department of Justice confirms: 31,328 medals with bar and 14,741 without bar, a grand total of 47,069 were issued to the Local Security Force alone.

Some sell for big money on Ebay, but recently it has been noticed that the price has been artificially inflated for Republic of Ireland Medals.

Many are being sourced locally for sale on the net at these hugh prices which make no sense.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

What is the best buy price for both of the medals?

Lorenzo

Hallo Lorenzo, :beer:

that question is not easily answered, Irish military medals :love: are very collectible at the moment

and any of the lower end / common "Emergency" medals, sell well on ebay for the equivalent of 70+ Euro.

The more rare heading well over 150 - 200+ Euro depending on the demand.

Hallo Lorenzo, :beer:

that question is not easily answered, Irish military medals :love: are very collectible at the moment

and any of the lower end / common "Emergency" medals, sell well on ebay for the equivalent of 70+ Euro.

The more rare heading well over 150 - 200+ Euro depending on the demand.

Ok cool

The first one was 45 Euro and the second one was 65.00 Euro

Thank you

Lorenzo