News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rothe & Neffe Pour Le Merite

Hello:

If I am not mistaken, I see the markings "935" and "W" on the suspension pie. This piece was definately not made by Wagner!

The workmanship and finish of this piece are also very poor.

Thus, I believe this to be a forgery made in the not too distant past. I do not believe it to be made by Rothe either, as their forgeries are usually of higher quality than this.

With all such items, I believe that melt determines the value, although without testing this, I wouldn't even be certain that it is gilded-silver.

Run away from this piece as fast as you can!

Best regards,

"SPM"

Hello Vic:

In my eyes, you were VERY smart to post these photographs! We are all on a learning curve with these items. There was a day not long ago when I would have possibly plopped down hard-earned cash for a piece such as this. It is always smart to post photos of items here BEFORE you purchase them if you have any doubts about them (just don't mention who is selling it).

There is a wealth of knowledge available from the folks who frequent this site (and a lot of folks who specialize in the Pour le Merit?-I however do not).

I hate to frighten you, but there are very good quality copies of PlM that I believe often fool relatively experienced collectors. I still do not have a PlM. Perhaps someday, but I am patient. I know of a few outstanding pieces in collections. Only once-in-awhile at rather high prices do genuine pieces surface for sale.

So, save you money and be patient (and post those photos!).

Best regards,

"SPM"

• 2 weeks later...

"SPM" is correct that this piece wasn't made by Rothe. The photos you posted bear a resemblance to the ones they made, but not all that closely when you compare the eagles.

There are better "copies" on the market for less money than the price you mentioned if you're looking for a "filler" piece.

Les

Les, Thanks---I would like to find a Steinhauer & Luck

"SPM" is correct that this piece wasn't made by Rothe. The photos you posted bear a resemblance to the ones they made, but not all that closely when you compare the eagles.

There are better "copies" on the market for less money than the price you mentioned if you're looking for a "filler" piece.

Les