News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

badge army navy production award sterling

hmfgreifswald

not rare, sometimes sterling though and quite common. I walked by 2 today at the local flea market: they go for @$5-$10 max.

They are "excellent" production badges, awarded for outstanding production in the war effort etc. during WW2. There were probably about 200,000+ of them given out. I see them often because of the shipyards near where I live and they were awarded a LOT for making Liberty ships.

Edited by Ulsterman

Both.

Factories were awarded the badges, for example the Kittery shipyard, but specific shifts and individuals were then individually awarded the badge by the factory managers. For example, at the Kittery ship yard in 1944 the telephone operators, some welders, carpenters and a number of administrative people were specifically denied the badge for various reasons (length of work service, ad hoc "strikes"/absences, lack of productivity etc. etc. . Not everyone who worked at a company necessarily got the badge, but most did.

A lot of women received the badge during the war and wore it proudly.

They had a big party when they handed them out, drinks, dancing, picnics etc..

see here (and the N.Y.Times of May 2, 1944)

http://www.antiquefishinglures.com/award.htm

Edited by Ulsterman