News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

154 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

jasmor58

Question,

What information can be obtaind from there lists ? I am seeking information on a Lieutenant H. Greene,MC. who served with 154 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. 1916 - 1919.

Any help or information would be much appreciated.

Jasmor58

Here's your guy in the 1937 List - P 251 - Royal Artillery

You already know he is a M.C. winner

His date of rank as Major is 19 April 1931

g*dagger -

Certificate of the Gunnery Staff Course or specially selected as qualified on

account of service as Instructor in Gunnery

Officers holding the Gunnery Staff Course Certificate who subsequent to

1922 qualified in coast defence and/or anti-aircraft gunnery are indicated

by the addition of a asterisk and/or a dagger respectively to the symbol g

y -

Certificate of the Long Survey Course at the School of Artillery at Larkhill

(1 S.) -

Means that he is posted to the 1st Survey Co (R.A.) at Larkhill

Edited by David S

Major Herbert Greene, RGA, MC*

Born on 24 September 1896, the son of Rev. Robert Venables Green, Dyke, Berkhamsted, Herts

Educated at Mill Hill School from 1911 to 1915 (VI, OTC) and at St. Andrews University from 1915 (B. Sc., Ph. D., 1924)

Gentleman Cadet, Royal Military College, Woolwich

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, RGA on 28 February 1917

Served in France and Belgium and was twice wounded and once gassed.

Military Cross as 2nd Lieutenant, 154 Siege Battery, RGA (London Gazette, 24 Sept 1918: ?For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He accompanied a raiding party, having volunteered to act as guide. When the officer in charge fell into a lake he took command and led the party on its objective. Finding this unoccupied, he pushed on to some dug-outs, which he thoroughly bombed, and shot one of the enemy himself. He was slightly wounded in the head during the operations, but continued to direct the party.?

Bar to Military Cross, as Lieutenant, 154th Siege Battery, RGA (London Gazette, 8 Mar 1919; citation, London Gazette, 4 Oct 1919: ?For cool courage and devotion to duty. At Bergwick, on 5th November, 1918, he was in charge of a column of the battery guns being drawn by caterpillars. The enemy put down a burst of shell fire, getting a direct hit on one of the caterpillars, setting it alight. He got the remaining caterpillars out of danger, helped to uncouple the gun from the burning caterpillars and, assisted by a Serjeant and the drivers, he got them clear. His coolness and energy saved a dangerous situation. The enemy continued shelling throughout the proceedings.?

After the war at Carnegie Chemical Research School.

Editor or University Magazine

1924- Assistant Government Chemist in the Sudan; Gezira Research Mission, Wad Medina, Sudan

His address in 1926 was: 82 Lower Addiscombe Road, East Croydon, Surrey

Sources: Book of Remembrance and War Record of Mill Hill School; The Register of Mill Hill School, London, 18-7-1926; University of St. Andrews Roll of Honour and Roll of Service, 1914-1919; A History of 154 Siege Battery, RGA, France 1916-1919.

Gunner 1

David S and gunner 1.

You guys are really fantastic. Your information is far more than I had hoped for. I am actually researching a humble Gunner who was awarded a Military Medal algside this Officer when he won his first MC. Information required to add a little bit of extra info to the story ,and both of you have provided that.

Thank you for your great assistance.

Jasmor58

David S and Gunner1.

Sorry to be such a pest, but would it be possible to do the same for another officer of 154 Siege Battery, RGA.

Captain. M.C.Walker. MC.

Information required to fill out some background material to the man in the Battery I am researching...my father - in -law. Gunner H. Graham. MM.

jasmor58

Major Maurice Cecil Walker, MC, RGA

Born on 28 Nov 96, the son of G W Walker, KC, 38 Fitzwilliam Square Dublin

Educated at Glenalmond School from 1912 to 1914 and at University of Dublin, BA 1919.

2nd Lt, RGA, 1915

Lieut, RGA, 1917

Acting Captain, 1917

Acting Major, 1918

Military Cross, London Gazette of 3 June 1918 while commanding 154 Siege Battery, RGA

In 1919 he was the author of the battery unit history: A History of 154 Siege Battery, RGA, France 1916-19

Passed Bar Final Exam in 1920

Employed as Barrister-at-Law, Ireland

His address in 1929 was 43 Upper Leeson Street, Dublin

Photo of Major Walker below is from the last mentioned source.

Sources: The Glenalmond Register 1847-1929; University of Dublin War List, 1922; A History of 154 Siege Battery, RGA, France 1916-19.

Regards, Gunner 1

Someone previously, on this forum or another, asked about the actions that won Gunner Graham his MM and I replied with a quote from the unit history that gave some detail about the action. Was that you. If not, let me know and I can resend it. Regards, Gunner 1

Gunner1,

I do not know how to thank you for your assistance in adding a little bit more background information for the narrative I am doing on Gunner Graham. Yes, it was indeed myself who previously posted regarding Hugh Graham's MM. No need to repost.

Yes, Ed. Gunner1 sure is the expert on WW1 Royal Artillery. and |I am indebted to him.

Thanks once again.

Jasmor58

• 1 month later...

Hi there. Just found this link and was eager to reply. I'm the grandson of the other Gunner Graham who served with 154 Siege Battery and I would appreciate some help or some pointers. My Granddad (William Graham, 55851) was awarded the DCM at Voormezele in August 1917 and is also mentioned in Capt Walkers book.

I have all available War Diary accounts of 154 SB activities from April 1917 to January 1918, however, my granddad was transferred to 188 SB as Battery Quartermaster Sergeant in April 1918 and there the leads run dry.

I have a couple of questions...

Does anyone know if anybody else was transferred at that time?

In the absence of any War Diaries, where is the next best source of information?

I went to Ypes in May last year and visited some sites where 154 SB were positioned. I'd be more than happy to share any info I have with anyone else researching "The Sailly Boys".

Best regards

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know anything about a chap who was in the 161 Seige Bty R.G.A.

He was A-Sjt (M2-118071) L. Crawford. I know that he was K.I.A. from the CWGC website,

and I have his BWM only - the AVM is missing.

Can any of you chaps tell me anything more about Crawford, please? How /when / where he was K.I.A.

for example? Any any other info would be most welcome.

Thank you.

According to the CWGC he is MS/118971 Sjt. Lachlan McLean Crawford (note the different service number). While he served with 161st Siege Battery, RGA, his number indicates that he was actually a member of the Army Service Corps and part of the 402nd Mechanical Transport Company, ASC. He was one of the ASC men attached to 161st Siege Battery, RGA to maintain and drive the Holt tractors that towed the battery's four 9.2" howitzers. A detachment of ASC was attached to many siege batteries because of the heavy guns they used. Unfortunately the war diary of 161st Siege Battery has not been traced and I am not aware of a unit history for the unit. At the time of his death the battery was attached to 77th Heavy Artillery Group and their war diary is available at The National Archives under WO 95/324. Gunner 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there, does anyone have any information on Gunner John Rochford? His C.O was Capt Goldstein. My grandfather served from September 1917 until the end of the war. All I know was that he was on the 9.2 Howitzers, got trench feaver in December 1917 and treated in Bologne, given leave to Ireland, then was sent to support Gen Goughs 5th Army BEF which was overun by the German Stormtroopers. Any information gratefully received. On the day of armistice after the siezefire he was receiving Catholic mass on the front when a shell landed meters away killing the man next to him, my grandfather receiving shrapnel wounds to his back but luckily survived to be 82.

Nick Rochford

Yorkshire

• 5 months later...

Hi there. Just found this link and was eager to reply. I'm the grandson of the other Gunner Graham who served with 154 Siege Battery and I would appreciate some help or some pointers. My Granddad (William Graham, 55851) was awarded the DCM at Voormezele in August 1917 and is also mentioned in Capt Walkers book.

I have all available War Diary accounts of 154 SB activities from April 1917 to January 1918, however, my granddad was transferred to 188 SB as Battery Quartermaster Sergeant in April 1918 and there the leads run dry.

I have a couple of questions...

Does anyone know if anybody else was transferred at that time?

In the absence of any War Diaries, where is the next best source of information?

I went to Ypes in May last year and visited some sites where 154 SB were positioned. I'd be more than happy to share any info I have with anyone else researching "The Sailly Boys".

Best regards

Hi Graham,

I am thinking of doing a tour of Ypes soon and would like to receive any information you may have on 154SB (or 184SB if you have any).

Many thanks,

Nick