News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

R.A.F BALLOON SECTIONS

Hi

I wonder if anybody can help with some information. I've recently come into possession of a group of WW2 medals attributed to a Flying Officer who was a member of a balloon section. Included in the group was a copy Air Crew Europe star. Does anybody know if a balloon section officer would have ever been Aircrew, or would he just be a ground crew officer.

Any info would be appreciated

Cheers

Graham

Hi

I wonder if anybody can help with some information. I've recently come into possession of a group of WW2 medals attributed to a Flying Officer who was a member of a balloon section. Included in the group was a copy Air Crew Europe star. Does anybody know if a balloon section officer would have ever been Aircrew, or would he just be a ground crew officer.

Any info would be appreciated

Cheers

Graham

Most of the Balloon Squadrons served only in the UK so entitled to Def and War Medal Those that went to France on D Day 39/45 Star,F&g Star,a few served on ships at sea therefore add an Alantic Star,and again the ones that went to Burma would have the Burma Star.I'm not sure about the units that served in the Gulf guarding the oil fields if before the end date for the Africa Star in 1943 maybe they qualified.

Unless he served on an operational squadron flying no 39/45 star or Aircrew europe.

John

Digging a little deeper your man would have had to have been on an operatioal squadron not attached for a period of 4months and completed an operation over europe prior to June 5th 1944 and qualified for the 1939/45 star prior to this period commencing.Joy-riding did not count.

Most unlikely for a Balloon Officer unlles aircrew at an earlier time.

John

Hi Jan and Ralph

Thanks for the info, it's most appreciated, i've done a bit of research on the guy since i posted my question. According to his London Gazette entries, he was promoted to an officer from being a Flight Sergeant, so it's just possible that he may well have been Aircrew before his promotion.

Cheers

Graham